Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advice sought - Weber Filter for Xflow Supersprint

Wile7

Dear all - advice please... *smile*

Following on from some work that I have had done on my car I have been advised to replace my K&N filters. They are the original ones (1996 car) and I have cleaned/treated them several times in my ownership (decade) but they now need replacing. Good service, just knackered. Car is 'standard' supersprint spec.

Q. What type of filter is best? Thoughts:

Go for the same again (K&N)

Trumpets with foam filters/socks (Ramair, pipercross etc?)

I like the idea of shiny chrome trumpets with individual gauze filters for an 'old school' look or the full twin chrome filter (Ramflo type)

I have searched the archives, short and long trumpets etc. but it seems (via Roger King comments from 2005) that the standard K&N set-up by Caterham was/is pretty good.

Any pearls of wisdom please?

Many thanks *thumbup*

Dave *wavey*

I use Pipercross double 'socks' for my TBs (same size basically as Webers).

Relatively inexpensive, easy to clean but eventually the foam wears through. I like the idea of 'proper' all in one filter with backplate but space is at a premium and i'm not keen to cut the bonnet about.

Andy

Edited by - andy couchman on 30 Apr 2014 10:42:22

• Area Representative

There's an open road wheel within a few inches of the intakes so wire gauze would be likely to let in a lot of potentially damaging sh1te.

I've tried the Pipercross foam socks and I'm sure they filter okay but the induction blarp is a lot nicer with the K&Ns. I'm told that the airflow around the trumpet ends is better with a small airbox type filter like the K&N which seems logical but I can't say I noticed any real difference between the two apart from the noise.

Cruds