Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live Axle front brake calipers

MusCat

A couple of numpty questions about front brakes:

I've got a 1989 live axle - would a di-dion car from 1991 have the same front brakes calipers?

Also are front brake calipers the same both sides or do they differ from the left and right sides?

Thanks

Tim

Hi Muscat,

Just replaced my callipers on 1990 crossflow live, they are girling type 14 and handed (so nipples on top) *wink*

and best purchased from motor factors at about £100 each less £40 for your old unit on return, much better than £210 from c cars!each side *eek*

An option would be Hi-Spec 2 pot brake callipers, the economy one's are 90 quit. They weigh about 3 kg less and have bigger pad area, the only thing I am not sure about is the piston diameter between the 2, this could be affecting the feel of braking.

Quoting elie boone: 
An option would be Hi-Spec 2 pot brake callipers, the economy one's are 90 quit. They weigh about 3 kg less and have bigger pad area, the only thing I am not sure about is the piston diameter between the 2, this could be affecting the feel of braking.

I've been running these on the front and now have them on the rear too, along with a standard master cylinder. For me, no problems (so far!) with pedal feel, modulation or F/R bias. Am using DS3000s up front and some OMP things at the rear. Really quite fond of DS3000s, but have not tried any Pagids yet.

Tim,

If you've got drum brakes on the rear, and the brake balance seems okay, I'd be cautious of changing to upgraded brakes on the front. Any increase in the piston area will cause the fronts to lock much earlier, and the rears almost become redundant.

The result is worse overall stopping power.