Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where to get suspension setup and temperature question

Scott Dabinett

My suspension seems quite soft at the moment and want it set up for track use. I was wonder where people recommend. The south west would be good but don't mind travelling for the right company!

Also the engine temp runs at around 60 degrees normally which I think is normal for a fireblade car but it drops to around 40 degrees if I am driving late at night when the air temp is a lot cooler. I am running an aluminium radiator. Is this too cold? Should I make up a guard to block part of the radiator for when it gets cold?

Thanks in advance

Scott

• Area Representative

Sounds like the thermostat is not right and the radiator is too big. Was talking to a fellow Blackbird owner once who had a standard Caterham rad fitted vs my bike one and his engine was running at very low temperatures to mine. On the blackbird the radiator fan cuts in at 105 degrees *eek* which always seemed a bit high to me so I now have it cutting in at 90 degrees, and car water temp normally sits around 80-85 degrees.

Nick

Where's the sender unit? If it's mounted on the rad itself, the engine temps may well be okay. Especially if you have a larger car rad rather than the original bike one.

The R1 fan only cuts in at 106', but it's fitted with an overide switch. Mine runs around 65/70 ish, but does vary with the airtemps. The sender is in the top of the rad, so will show cooler than the engine temp.

Scott, have you tried experimenting with the adjustable dampers - assuming it still has the adjustable Leda dampers on it. Best place to do this is on a track-day - try different settings and keep notes between settings.

It was always odd seeing the temperature at 60 degrees, but James, and Paul Harvey, didn't think it an issue.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I will have a look at where the temp sender is. All the companies that have been recommended looks good. I will send a few emails.

Quoting Andrew Walker: 
Scott, have you tried experimenting with the adjustable dampers - assuming it still has the adjustable Leda dampers on it. Best place to do this is on a track-day - try different settings and keep notes between settings.

It was always odd seeing the temperature at 60 degrees, but James, and Paul Harvey, didn't think it an issue.

Hi Andrew, it does still have the Leda dampers. I might have a bit of a fiddle at the next track day if I don't get it set up before then. And the 60 degrees is fine, dad's old one used to run at that. I am thinking more of when it drops to 45ish.

Quoting grenpayne: 
Scott, my car is being flat-floored and corner weighted at Solutions Racing tomorrow. They see plenty of Sevens and I know several on here have used them too, equally I spoke to Peter the owner on the phone and he seemed a thoroughly nice chap. They are near Witney in Oxfordshire. I'll let you know how I get on *thumbup*

Got the car back late this afternoon, Peter came and collected it from my work on a trailer and brought it back too *thumbup*

Long story short, I'd dead chuffed as we talked through for ages the best way to set it up for my needs and that's what he did. It feels great and if I'm not happy with it in the coming weeks he's happy to have it back to make the changes. Price was excellent and he even gave me a bit more off as a new customer. All in all, highly recommended *smile*