Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Quick release column

boughtoneatlast

Okay so I might be suffering a Christmas achohol induced lack of intellect but...............

............. I am just trying to remove my old column to fit a quick release one, the problem is Ihave the standard column with normal ign barrel etc and cannot just withdraw the old one, am I missing the point and what could be stopping it from coming out, currently new wheel and column just sitting there so some advice from anyone still sober enough to help would be appreciated..........

I have removed the clamp and withdrawn it part way but then it catches on something - I was told it jsut came out once clamp undone!!!!

Many thanks

and a Happy Christmas to all!!

Gary

Gary

The problem is that there is a collar welded onto the standard upper column for the steering lock, and that fouls the top bush when you try to withdraw it. I don't think there's an easy way around it, other than to put one foot on the dash and heave on the column until it & the top bush come out. You then refit the bush, and the plain QR column slides right in.

Key in ignition and turned on to disable the steering lock.

Leave the steering wheel bolted on and use it to pull hard repeatedly on the upper column bush (like a bearing puller) .... you need to be quite violent but it does come eventually.

Check the bushes before you replace the shaft ... I replaced both the upper and lower ones because the nylon inserts were damaged.

Cheers

Alex

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue and Black

Tie a loop of rope from the top of the role bar and around the center of the steering wheel as tight as you can get it, now put a a bit of wood about a foot long between the the rope and turn it like a tourniquet. As the rope tightens it will pull the column through the rubber bushes.