Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox change advice needed please

MereCat

Hello all *wavey*

Just in the process of getting all that is required to change gearbox and would really welcome some advice ahead of this (questions posed in list).

K series 1.6K SS 5spd to 6spd box.

Check list for this is (have i missed anything?)

?= is it required?

Gearbox

Redline MTL (2 bottles)

Gearbox gasket to Bellhousing

Gearbox nose piece gasket

Head to water rail gasket (precaution)

Seal selector rail 5/6spd gearbox

Exhaust manifold gasket

Clutch plate and cover OR Clutch (AP does anyone know if i can order an AP part to use or does it have to be OEM AP. I have an AP clutch in but don't think its Racing as not on / off so to speak (does not require legs like cyclists to use).

Clutch release bearing. (anyone have details of mod?)

spigot bearing? (CC seem to be out of stock any ideas?)

Coolant (how many litres for a K series with heater and what type of standard (not waterless) would i use? What does the factory recommend as don't want with OAT ideally?

Oil Filter

Oil

sump gasket

Oil seal rear 5/6spd gearbox?

Front seal 5/6spd gearbox?

Lots of tea and biscuits!!!

Hi, I swapped from 5 to 6 speed on my 1.6 K over the winter, and also fitted a lightweight flywheel.

I did my first sprint of the year on Sunday, and can tell you I am well chuffed with the difference in the car!

I reused pretty much everything already fitted to my car as I knew it was all ok, I did add a smear of silicon around the selector shaft o ring though.

I also swapped to waterless coolant, and would recommend you consider it. The lack of system pressure at operating temperature is impressive, and the corrosion properties are too. Don't forget you can just keep reusing it.........!

I did the crb upgrade a while ago, do a search in here for the part numbers, it's definitely worthwhile!

I use a standard clutch, which I find works fine, my car is road going so gets blatted around the Lakes, but is mostly a hillclimb/sprint car so also gets plenty of wheelspin/standing starts.

Crack on, and enjoy the revs! 😬

Quoting LesG: 
I also swapped to waterless coolant, and would recommend you consider it. The lack of system pressure at operating temperature is impressive, and the corrosion properties are too. Don't forget you can just keep reusing it.........!
Recently, and probably best, discussed here. I'm not aware of any evidence for or reason why there should be a lower pressure in the coolant liquid or anywhere in the system except the headspace. Or any detectable effect on corrosion. Or any other advantage for most 7s in most conditions.

Jonathan