Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll cage padding

Cookie Monster

Full cage on my car & I recall from the Intro day that we may need roll cage padding.

Is this a definite or just a desireable?

And if it's a definite does it have to be FIA/MSA approved?

Have seen some on DT website that looks to fit the bill:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/roll-bar-padding/bsci-fia-homologated-roll-bar-padding-2

Thx

Which cage do you have? It is not essential (rules wise) but is very desirable. I have a roadsport cage and would not drive the car as I do without it.

Safety Devices sell the stuff cheaply via fleebay. Next day delivery in my experience too.

Oli

Ok, so probably a roadsport cage. If you can still fit the hood then it will be.

I'd say definitely get some padding. Hitting your head off the cage alone would be worse than hitting padding. Better to reduce the risk for such little cost IMO.

:)

• Support Team

One of our competitors got pulled up on this by a scrutineer towards the end of last season but that is the first time it's happened since I've been sprinting. Technically, if your head/body could come into contact with the cage then padding should be used.

MSA Rule on padding

The rule does not specify the type of padding, merely that it must be non-flammable.

There is a further recommendation:

here

Link to Blue book here

Sections 1.3.6 and 1.6.6

Edited by - Shaun_E on 15 Apr 2014 09:01:10