Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting new springs to Bilstein dampers

AndrewGP

I want to fit new springs to my rear Bilstein dampers which are currently off the car as the old ones are a bit manky. I have adjustable platforms but any pointers on how to do it? There seems to be no obvious way to unscrew the platforms past the lower stop to remove the spring. Any help gratefully received!

The upper damper cap normally has a split in it. Squash the spring (with care!) to give yourself enough room to slide the cap free and the spring will come out. BUT, I've seen and had a few several setups where the upper spring seat is solid, so you will have to remove the eyelet and slide the lot off.

PS. Show us a picture of your suspension units.

PPS. I've got some linear 150lb/11.5" springs that might be a good swap for the standard progressive rears.

Edited by - Mankee on 12 Apr 2014 20:03:52

Quoting SM25T: 
The rear springs are pretty soft.

The platforms sit on a circlip in the body of the damper at the end of their travel. If you can't see it, screw the platforms apart (one acts as a lock nut) then screw them upwards until you can see the circlip !

This may save you from having to undo the top mount bolt ?

That won't work.

Lower the mounts as low as they will go.

Use a spring compressor (or a very dangerous alternative method) to compress the spring enough t0 be able to remove the collar which fits inside the upper platform.

Reduce the compression, change the spring and repeat in reverse order.

Paul

If you cannot find suitable spring compressors, a pair of small ratcheting straps work very well. Make very sure to ratchet them equally and keep them at exact opposite to each other.

Someone here suggested this and it works very well I must say *cool*