Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spare wheel spacer and bolt

Chas Guirey

Can anyone tell me whether there are different types of spare wheel stainless steel bolt and spacer for holding on the spare wheel. I bought them from caterham this morning and the bolt appears to have a different thread for the one on the car and the spacer doesnt match up with the stud holes in the either of my sets of wheels. The car is a 1998 live axle classic -Unfortunately I thought that the bolt was simply tight so used a pair of pliers to screw it in about 6 threads before I realised that the thread might not be the same. Having taken it off again I can see that the nut on the car has cut a differnt thread on the end of the bolt. I suppose I should be glad that the nut appears to be made of harder metal than the bolt or I might have ruined the captive nut.

regards

Chas

As far as I know there are two types. One is for the Live axle cars which will have the 'V' at an angle to match the Ital pitch. The Ford one will have a wider 'V' to suit the larger PCD.

The threads will also vary to hold the wheel on as the Ital and Fords vary - don't know the Ital (some imperial), but the Ford cars will have M12's.

I guess along the way the bit you are interested in - the centre bolt - may have changed. Whether that is related to the Ital/Ford is another matter.

Any one else - kind of anorack question that Blatchatters thrive on!

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Don't know whether this will help much, but . ..

I have two of the large bolts - one from an Ital axle 7, the other from a Ford axled 7. Both have the same thread, though I haven't checked on what it is.

FWIW I have a 1997 Grad car.

I also don't like the way the design puts pressure on the back skin of the car so fabricated a "spreader" from 6mm neoprene and a 6" disc of ali. Not only does it work, it doesn't stick to the car.

You might also find that the captive nut is angled better for 60 profile tyres rather than the 70's. That's my last ditch excuse to persuade the boss that I need to change tyres !

Sorry, looking back that 's not much help at all is it 🤔

DM