Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Race numbers - road car

Cookie Monster

• Support Team

I put a large black X using black gaffer tape to make it absolutely clear the numbers are covered.

If you are putting the numbers onto bare paint then make sure you wax it well beforehand - you don't want to take the paint off at the end of the season!

No, very possibly not.

See S 9.2.6. and, following which, in order to understand the import and intention of the rule, review the several rules relevant to other categories of motor sport in which competition cars which have ceased to so compete then access public roads.

Well that is the information provided by the MSA whilst attending their training day for club representatives.

Your post seems to imply you have further information or you represent either the MSA or police?

I would welcome your clear view or who you represent so we can make an informed decision.

Two wrongs don't make a right but you can attend any hillclimb or sprint and see many cars driving home with numbers/crossed out. In fact that is what Dai did in front of the MSA.

page 328 S 9.2.6 Race numbers must be covered at all times whilst driving on the public highway.

It says covered not removed.

what does covered mean? fully covered as you can not see them? if say why not say all numbers must be removed?

how covered should the numbers be?

A few years ago I was given a little talking too as I had not covered my numbers. I was told to put some tape though the numbers. I do not think the rule has been re written or re worded.

I do and will continue to go on the public highway till I am told differently with tape through the numbers.

David

there is nothing as far as I'm aware in statute that says you can't have number on display on your car, otherwise i think VW would have been rather unpopular with owners of the Beetles with huge no 53's on the sides and bonnet...

As Simon and other say, its an MSA 'request' not a statutory requirement.

It's not an MSA 'request', it's a regulation of events running under MSA rules.

It is so that car's having retired from an event and still use the same roads as competing vehicles are not confused with each other. Road rallies being a particular circumstance where this can be an issue.

Peter