Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham R500 Build - Progress Update or is it?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoting BSA: 
how do you rate the HPI Baja SS by the way ?
Awesome piece of kit, no shortages, everything fitted perfectly, instructions brilliant, build quality excellent and all at 1/45th the cost.

Having just been through the same process as Daniel albeit with a Supersport R, Daniel and I have been in contact a lot through the process and I have to say the manual is poor to say that the car is marketed as no experience needed!

I am also greatly indebted to Dereck for being so helpful and sending outmissing parts, on average at least one parcel a week! Sent out by next day delivery! That must cost Caterham a small fortune, that if they got their arises into gear could be avoided and those funds put to building more stock!

My car is sat having had its post build check with a small bit of work to do on it which is yet to be completed, not an issue as I am having them submit it for IVA due to work commitments! I am however concerned at what the final cost will be as I am sure Daniel is!

Fingers crossed that things start to move smoothly and more importantly quickly from now on!

Gregs

Quoting Roadracer1977: 
Quoting FramerateUK: 
Just to add, Caterham aren't the only manufacturer to have shortages with parts.

Someone crashed into me while I was driving my RenaultSport Megane 250 back in November. Quite a bit of damage to the side of the car, which set off the curtain airbag on the passenger side - which burst through the roof lining.

The car was signed off for repair about a month later (mid December) and the parts for repair were ordered. All repairs were completed by the end of January, but the car sat there for a further 2 months waiting for the roof liner, which had taken 3 months to obtain.

Renault were useless and couldn't even give me a date on when it would arrive. One day it just turned up and Renault themselves seemed oblivious that it had been delivered.

From what I've heard from the body-shop, this is quite common. It's just just Renault (or Caterham). All the manufactures have supply issues, especially with lower volume stuff like the sporty versions.

The big difference there is you had an accident and that was a repair job. I know what you are saying, but I've shelled out over £45k on a 'new' car where something as integral as a fuel pump has been out of stock for over three months. That's aside from the numerous other issues I've had, and judging by this thread at least it's not un-usual to have these issues.

This really should be bread and butter stuff for Caterham.

After all this hassle you have had you can take relief in selling it without blowing your brains out. Why is that i wonder. *biggrin*

RR'77 - I sourced an aftermarket fuel pump for my application, and found there are multiple sources for pumps that meet the required spec, which has more to do with high pressure capability rather than lph (gph) flow rates - the Duratec likes 4.2 bar, I believe. Provided CC can provide all the other items such as the hangar, the white polymer sleeve, sock filter, etc., a suitable pump itself is not difficult to obtain. At least not here in the U.S.A. And mine was < 100 bucks American, and shipped to me in a few days.

You might try a search locally for a suitable high pressure fuel pump, and if no luck, try TRE (cannot recall the specific part number) based in Fallbrook , California or Deatsch Werks DW200 from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. I am sure there are others.

My S3 car w/ CSR260 2.3 Duratec came with the standard CC fuel pump, but a dyno session revealed it to be inadequate. I then had a DW200 which worked well, but an unfortunate coolant leak onto the MFRU fried that, and I replaced it with a TRE ($69 USD!!), which works equally well, which was proven on the dyno. Either of these pumps may require enlarging the white polymer sleeve by a couple of mm, but that is an easy lathe job, and once done, fully adequate and inexpensive fuel pumps are readily available, albeit from America.

Edited by - BBL on 12 Apr 2014 05:14:43

If as BBL says there are other options in the market, CC should sharpen up their procurement actvity.

This not the first time fuel pumps for big engined derivatives have run out and becomr subject of threads on here.

IMO sending out kits with shortages is poor quality. CC are "getting away with it" because mostly they hope the back orders come in faster than the car is built. For the car ti be left waiting for parts after a decently long build period is feeble.

Combine that with poor customer comms.... hmmmm.

What if the buyer's plan was to put it together over a weekend?

If Ikea made as frequent supply of kitchen units with shortages they would soon be sunk.

Peter

Quoting Roadracer1977: 
The big difference there is you had an accident and that was a repair job. I know what you are saying, but I've shelled out over £45k on a 'new' car where something as integral as a fuel pump has been out of stock for over three months. That's aside from the numerous other issues I've had, and judging by this thread at least it's not un-usual to have these issues.

This really should be bread and butter stuff for Caterham.

That's not the point I'm making at all.

All manufacturers have supply issues. It's annoying, and when you have to wait for parts to arrive, it's frustrating. But they're all guilty of it. It's not just Caterham.

I'm not saying that makes it ok. It's not, and they shouldn't take your money knowing they're making no effort to supply the part. But it happens all over the motor industry, and it's not only Caterham who are doing it.

• Leadership Team

Quoting mic: 
The Rover pump is no longer used, except on the R500, pretty sure all current models use Ford pumps

Edited by - mic on 11 Apr 2014 20:45:53

Mic, I hope I didn't sound condescending in my previous post. You know the workings inside Caterham better than any of us, but what is plainly obvious to everyone is that any Rover related part is ultimately going to be a supply issue for Caterham. The R500D is a relatively new model .... Rover disappeared years ago!

Stu.

BBL has an interesting comment re replacement pumps and the ease of obtaining in the USA ..and the pump one would imagine would suit the 500 as well as the CSR.

The inevitable in all of this is the consistent message that CC never pick up on...if they only dealt with the customer they might not get the postings. this is one of the most read threads in recent months and its a negative one....the blog would have been such a bonus if it had gone well but...

I am sure it will all work out well in the end but so much easier without all the aforementioned.

alan

Quoting Alan Reeves: 
The inevitable in all of this is the consistent message that CC never pick up on...if they only dealt with the customer they might not get the postings. this is one of the most read threads in recent months and its a negative one....the blog would have been such a bonus if it had gone well but...
I have to agree with that. From CC's angle, Daniel's excellent blog could (should!) have been wonderful free advertising. It turned out to be advertising all right, but not the sort that any company, particularly a small one, would want. And for that, CC essentially have no-one other than themselves to blame.

If they weren't already aware of it, CC must by now know of this thread. Let's hope that someone in a position to change things gets to read it and act on it. From Daniel's chat with Dean Francis, it appears that someone in authority does at least recognise that CC have big problems with supply-chain management and customer communications.

JV

Cheers John - I'm glad I've done the blog.

1. As a diary for myself and others to see what I achieved

2. For others to use a reference if they need it

3. Dean mentioned in the chat that Caterham are aware of the blog, and I believe 'reading between the lines' that this is to some degree helping my cause.

Lord only knows where I'd be right now without my blog as some form of 'ammo' *cool*

Quoting Martin Jeffrey: 
Could Caterham ask you to take down the blog if they felt what you were saying was unfair?
I guess they could 'ask' *cool*

I haven't written anything that is slanderous, so I doubt they'd have a leg to stand on. Everything I've written has either been factual or based on my thoughts and views which is perfectly legal and within my rights.

Edited by - Roadracer1977 on 12 Apr 2014 16:47:49