Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT test - emissions

flaps7

My car is Vx1.6 kit built 1st registered May 1998. It is (or should be) subject to a visual only inspection for emissions. Never had a problem but thinking of using a garage chain for MOT. Does anyone know if the computerised record system used by MOT testing stations will automatically pick up that my car is exempt. Or will I need to provide proof; never have done in the years of ownership.

Rick

Mine is a kit built 1.8 K of 1999 vintage with Cat. Documentation does state visual inspection only required. I think I was one of the last few to get away with this. If I can find the doc concerned, I will forward it onto you.

Yes, but that "is, or should be" still hovers, and I don't know what the tester's system will show for your car. I have previously shown the rules for my K-series to a tester when the car wasn't identified by the system and that worked.

Any particular reason for not going to a tester who is familiar with 7s?

Jonathan

Here is the definitive guide the the tester should use for vehicle identification if it is not on the system....

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/194133/Emissions_17th_Edition.pdf

Page 18 has Caterhams idetified by VIN number, if you've changed the engine type you'll need proof of the engine age and then they should use the flowchart as discussed.

My garage was very helpful and we went through all this and the flowcharts and we both agreed there was no wiggle room and it was tested against the emissions stated in the link for a 1.6K Series

Cheers

Ian