Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma CAM sensor?

Garth

Trying to understand what the Cam sensor does? To do with timing I believe, but my recent upgrade (which uses an Omex ECU) has done away with it and been told the Crank sensor is all that is required - whereas the Standard MBE uses both! Thanks

Hi there

The cam sensor is the there to allow sequential injection so that the ECU knows what half of the 720 degree cycle the engine is in. If not using the cam sensor then the injection will be set up as grouped.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by - Mackei23b on 8 Apr 2014 08:35:56

Edited by - Mackei23b on 8 Apr 2014 08:36:51

Hi Mackei23b - sorry do not fully understand! (not unusual!). Would the cam sensor then enable the ECU to adjust the timing of the injection for each cylinder? How critical would it be to get the cam sensor working? I cannot find whether or not the original MBE ECU has a specific input for the cam sensor, not much info on the MBE website!? The Omex 600 does not have a specific input for the cam sensor , but could one use an auxiliary channel? Thanks. Garth

Hi there

For sequential timing you can time when the injector 'sprays' and aims to spray when the valve is open. Which in most cases is only possible at low engine speeds between idle and low speed cruising. It can have benefits in emissions and fuel economy at these low engine speeds as I understand it.

When I spoke with QED when I was building my ECU they said that the majority of thier hillclimb engines were grouped injection so no cam sensor required.

So in short the timing of the injectors is not significant...

Hope this helps, oily may be able to give a better description.

Cheers

Ian