Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Change Up Installation

heavenly7

I have installed the Aces sureshift - well nearly. There is a single wire that provides the rpm feed that remains to be connected. The car is a 1600 two years old, I am am replacing the ECU in the New Year with an Emerald unit which I know has a dedicated feed for the sureshift. In the mean time what is the simplest way to wire in the rpm feed. The wiring behind the dial on the facia seems difficult to get at, and in any case I do not know which wire to use. Is there a simpler solution please for taping in to the rpm!

You will need a pull up resistor for the aces.you can phone aces they will send you one with inst.

also you can get the small loom from caterham for the eu3 type ecu.this was a update last year.

aces are very helpful if you have a problem .

I should have said my change up system came directly from Aces and includes the control unit. The instructions say that the tac feed should be wired directly to the ignition system.

"For conventional ignition systems, connect the black shielded wire to the low tension side of the coil (coil negative) or dedicated tachomoter output from the ignition system"

"For a multi spark system, the black shielded wire must be connected to a dedicated tachomoter output"

There is no mention of a pull up resistor and Aces knew the sytem was for a 7 so I assume this is not needed with this version - SureShift 2.

So the question I would desperately love answered as I am anxious to see it all working is can I wire it to the coil or the ECU or some othe place. If anyone can be helpful I would appreciate some simple instructions as I am not even certain yet where the coil is located!

if your car is 2 years old it is likely to be an EU2 engine and hence not a multi spark system (you can tell if there is a metal plug cover it is an eu2 if it is a nasty black plastic item it is eu3), and is likely to not need the pull up resistor I think. ICBWIOA

rob

I have now discovered how to remove the tachometer! The tachomoter has a plug in connector and presumably one of the wires supplies the rpm to which the Aces system can be connected as suggested. Does anyone know which is the correct wire or can suggest anything better?

I had a look at the Aces manufactuers website earlier, but couldnt see a cost of the unit. Would someone please enlighten me? It would be for a 1.4 K on a MEMS ECU - I trust it would work on my car. It looks a cool toy to have on the car!!

I should look in the archives before posting!! £189+ vat for L7C GB members. Thats a lot for what it does. Followed a link to the Webcom Alpha shift light which more or less does the same, but for £50 + vat. Might get one before my first track day next year