Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

RHS indicator wiring fault finding

Stu_I

Need a bit of help.

Noticed the RHS side repeater blinking fast and indicator bulb gone. Went to replace it and even with a new bulb still nothing. Swapped bulbs over and bulbs are good but something wrong with the wiring.

Both rear indicators are working along with LHS indicators. Only the repeater on the RHS is working.

I have just finished a 24k service adding cooling circuit mod, new Apollo hoses and cam-belt change and did knock the headlamp while working (walking past). Maybe it was that caused it, as all was good before I started.

So investigated the following with a multi-meter to try and isolate the fault.

1) Headlamp inside rim ground for indicator is showing continuity, using engine block as a ground. See here

2) Copper strip and Gold pin here are showing continuity when I stick a meter on.

3) With hazards and indicator running (Master switch on), copper and gold pin both showing a pulsing 10v or so. Tested both against each other and on a ground and both read the same.

4) Testing the good LHS and this shows exactly the same values as bad RHS.

5) Copper strip is touching the bulb.

Now I thought ok if I am getting a current to copper and gold pin, maybe the pin is not touching the bulb so I can manipulate the green wire here) at the back and push the gold pin forward. Still nothing.

Scratching my head on what next to do or test to get the fault. I could remove the green/black wires from the pod to see if copper strip connection is good but assuming it is if I am getting the continuity and voltage.

Only way to get access to these seems to either routing from engine bay/headlamp back or cutting behind the pod (solder after) and investigate.

Appreciate any help or have a I missed something? Am I being a numpty here? :

Thanks.

Stu

Edited by - stu_I on 5 Apr 2014 15:50:43

Not sure if you have measured this, with bulb fitted and power off, do you get continuity from both sides of bulb to earth, either block or battery if poss, obviously earth side should be <1ohm tother side should be around 3ohm on a cold bulb iirc

Tim

Links i will sort out now.

Will update links now so you can see.

JK. I have tested both copper strip to earth (engine block), gold pin to earth (EB), and have tested between copper strip and gold pin. I haven't tested earth in headlamp rim to either of these, which i can try.

EB. Bulb holder "looks" like it has good contact with copper strip and gold pin. Cant say for sure if the gold pin is touching the bulb as can't see from behind with rubber mount in place. Thats why i wonder about removing this and the white plate and checking.

TB. What do you mean both sides of the bulb?

sorry not very clear, ideally from both wires of the connector, at back of connector with bulb fitted, so one lead of multimeter fixed at engine block then probe both sides of rear of connector, with bulb fitted , with other test probe of meter, that should tell you if all connections from +side of bulb to earth are good.

Tim

Tbird. No access to back of connector with bulb fitted as rubber mount is there. Have checked front with power on and no bulb and there is a continuity/voltage through green (gold pin) and black (copper strip).

Can't actually get the rubber mount off as presume I would need to disconnect green from engine bay connector and remove ground in headlamp rim to pull wires through. I've read that it would easier to cut wires by the pod and retire than feed them through 😬

Will clean up contacts first as every other connection seems to be working!

So to update. Cleaned the copper strip and gold pin contacts so both fairly shiny. Still nothing.

Decided to start rechecking continuity to see if i had made a mistake, and checked copper strip and nothing. No beep. Checked good side. Beep. OK so now we are getting somewhere and explains somewhat why it isn't working.

Now the question. Copper strip sits on white back plate here, and this plate sits on a rubber mount that sits in the pod. Centre gold pin (which i believe is green wire) sits on a rubber pad and spring. Both green and black wires seem to end further back in the car, black (ground) in the headlamp rim, and this i could remove and feed through. However, green is right back into engine bay.

So I have a choice.

1) Remove the black earth from the headlamp, and pull out copper strip and investigate. Can i get it back in?

2) Cut both the green/black just behind the pod here. Pull rubber mount and back plate through and investigate copper connection. Re-solder and wrap up after.

What do you guys think?

Edited by - Stu_I on 6 Apr 2014 11:08:23

Thanks all again especially Ian.

Cut the ground (black) behind the pod eliminating the connection to the copper strip. Put a temp test wire on the black ground and an eyelet on the bolt holding the copper strip and bulb works. Joy.

Now to tidy up the wiring 😬