Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Build Diary, suggestions for what should be in it.

Michael_E

I'll be building me first Seven in mid Jan (well Chris Wheeler will be doing most of the clever work 😬) I'll just be learning and looking dumb.

I'd thought I'll do a build diary (first timers Q:"what's that thing?" A:"an engine") and would like to know what people would like to see (Digi Cam - xmas present in the pipeline) and what areas of the build would be of interest.

The car being built is a 1.6 K series S.umo V.ersion, dry sump, 15" CR500, quick release wheel, LSD, 4-2-1 exhaust.

My aim is to remind myself how it all went together *eek*

I would take a few digi-pics as you build. Then write it up every day referring to the pics you took that day. IME doing a diary is a real PITA (oops, TLA fever) but great when you go back to it!

I have just dug out my daily diary from 9 mths working on my own in the US in 1997. It's great! Not seven related though (apart from missing one!).

Graham

I looked at a lot of these diaries when I was planning my purchase and build. I thought the best was probably

http://www.margel.net/caterham/default.htm

Well laid out and helpful. It crucially included a detailed specification. Since these change so much it is useful to know exactly how your own car compares. The factory also seems to be always changing the delivery status of the car and some jobs are already complete which I had expected to do (like shaving off bits of the diff). I found the list of tips and tools/consumables helpful. Good diaries also include comments about where the writer has cocked up themselves-so reassurring!

Incidentally I am not sure that anyone has an SV build diary online. Nothing is crucially different as far as I can remember. Once I started actually building my car I found posting queries on here the most helpful way of solving snags. Have fun.

1.6 SV Roadsport-now awaiting SVA!

Bruce