Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vehicle Security

Big Al

I am just about to complete the purchase of my first Caterham.

As it is costing me a fair portion of my hard earnt money I want to make damned sure I keep hold of it. So without giving too many secrets away, any one got any good tips.

Cut off key, removable wheel and a big cycle or motor bike D lock to put through the front wishbone & the holes in the alloy wheel.

When tucked away in the garage, try & have the tin-top parked & secure in front of the garage door, so there is another more secure obstacle.

Seven's don't appear to be nicked that often (stands out like a Chippendale in a harem).

Always take the steering wheel with you (stops opportunists).

And I'd agree with the above only all accounts, but joy riders wouldn't normally consider it a target as they don't know how it goes and its not a golf / fiesta / "insert hot hatch of choice".

If you've got the full harness your unlikely to be pulled out at the lights. Most thief's appear to go for trailers or the tin top rather than touch a car that is easily spotted, would be recognized by the L7C community (you only have to look at all the "spotted in (insert surrey village)" that appears on Blatchat).

all you need is one form of immobilisation. Either an immobiliser (duh!), a battery master switch, or a removable wheel. You can of course fit your own secret switch to cut out the ignition/ecu/fuel. But all you need is one.

If they can get round that, they'll nick it whatever you do!

Graham

It has an immobiliser. Take the stering wheel. Put it in a garage overnight. After that chill. It is a basic principle that you cannot really enjoy something if you are too afraid of losing it.

A 7 is pretty distincitve and has a small marketplace. If someone really wants to steal it they will do so. You wil not stop them - they will just stick it on a trailer. It is not a car that is nicked for joyriding.

Alicat.

No-one would want to be seen with you if your wore flared trousers, but the Superior Clamshhell wings are much more distinctive as well as practical for stopping water ingress etc.

Ian Macquerie uses a big 'D' lock through one of the front wheels. Just don't drive off with it still in place!

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

I think the main point here is, as everyone says, they don't get stolen very often. BUT, t*ssers seems to love getting in/on it especially when drunk. A friend of mine had a door damaged / ruined by someone doing just this. If you leave it on the road anywhere you have to accept this risk *thumbdown*. I think I need to rig up some electric shock +/- large spike anti-tamper device mmmm.... 😬 😬 😬 (Oh yeah, and in addition to the s/wheel comment, don't leave your big red key in the side either or someone will nick that! *mad*

Chris

I stand corrected - clamshells LOL 😬 😬 😬

I thought flares were a 70's thing - I confess I had them then.

With regard to security - mine is in a locked garage, alarm on the door, and other car parked in fornt>

Alicat

Get a large mangy dog of the kind favoured by car breakers yards, and have this roaming about in the garage to bit the balls of any miscreant who might enter, may have to undergo some animal psychology to get on with it yourself, and if the beast was to be in the car when parked, no problem with folk wanting to sit in, just make sure the dog doesn't chew the Momo bits. You could even call him Rover....... sorry to much festive cheer......bye.