Click here if you are having website access problems ×

"Good" Engineering Practice

Tony C

I've been doing a lot of research in the Blatchat archives while waiting for my SV kit to arrive and have learned a tremendous amount about the various problems that people have encountered, either with their build or in service.

I looks like the engineering experience level is pretty wide.

Following-on from the torque value for the blue bolts which attach the prop shaft to the diff. discussion and whether "Loctite" should be used and torque values with lubrication. I was wondering if there was sufficient interest in collectively starting a "Generally accepted good engineering practice" thread.

I'm an ex-aircraft mechanic and have access to the modern version of "Civil Aircraft Inspection Procedure", which lays-down basic engineering practice acceptable to the aircraft maintenance industry. Some of it is a bit OTT for cars, but I'm sure there are other Blatchaters who have vast experience in car maintenance and other technical areas who could give their input.

This would all be aimed at improving basic knowledge for people who would like to fiddle with their Se7ens, without making basic (potentially expensive) errors.

Tony

I think it would be a brilliant idea, however rather than a Thread I think it would be more useable if it was a simple searchable database.

I would be happy to 'host' this on my site, anybody out there have the skills to provide the Database?

Mark

Miraz,

I don't know how you're going to set it up, but we're going to have to be careful that the entries are verifyable FACTS and not just people's opinions, however well intentioned.

Maybe you'd be interested in moderating too.

Tony

Anything that improves the cars or the ability of the owners is to be encouraged. As mentioned, the trick will be to make it authoritative and useful without repeating stuff that's covered elsewhere. For general engineering advice you can't beat any of Carroll Smith's books such as "Engineer to Win". Maybe what is missing is an FAQ site (Frequently Asked Questions).

*cool* 99,000 miles so far

Hi

If its of any help, I would be willing to host and compile contributions to a site dedicated to the Lotus/Caterham 7. I have had similiar ideas as " Good engineering practices " but would also like to include as much information as possible about maintenance, repair, and upgrades.

It is easy to say "What a wonderful idea" but the reality is commitment and hard graft. I would be willing to give it a GO!, but it would depend on the commitment of others to make it work. My mechanical engineering skills are quite basic, so contributions would need to be vetted. However I have a huge amount of experience of producing technical documentation, electronic design, and software engineering.

I can very quickly convert simple text contributions to HTML for browsing or PDF for downloading, or if anyone can produce sgml/xml sources I can compile them. I have also got an unused WEB site that I don't know what to do with.

Regards

BB

Thanks Big, good-oh.

After my original posting, Barry contacted me and told me he already has a FAQ section of this site in development. 😬 Long way to go though folks, so don't get excited just yet. 😬

I've been 'poking around' with it and it looks like a "Good Engineering Practices" section can be incorporated without too much trouble.

However, I feel sure that Barry would welcome your expertise. I anticipate a need to be able to easily display diagrams and .pdf is ideal for that.

Best Regards

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Is this thread dead?

It would be a great pity if it died without a fight.

Barry - Thank you for your email. I am sorry to take so long getting back to you, but I have not read any email over the Xmas period.

I would like to start the ball rolling with the following suggestions:

-Articles should be written without any copyright restriction.

-Encouragement should be given to others to add too, or improve the article.

-Newly written articles are published in an area clearly identified as "Pending Inclusion".

-An article in the "Pending Inclusion" area is subject to review by any Lotus 7 club member.

-Once an article is deemed to be fit, it is incorporated into the main area.

-It is hoped that the author of the article would make any changes required and submit a revised version.

All of the above would probably put off most people from writing anything. Therefore I believe that the main stumbling block is the spirit in which criticism is made. How do you stop anyone from making unhelpful nasty comments to someone who is trying to create something for the benefit of all.

For myself, I am willing to help to get this off the ground.

Kind Regards

BB

BB,

No, thread not dead. 😬

Most of your comments make a whole lot of sense.

I've done one article on torque wrenches and how to use them 'properly' and am currently working on another about corrosion. Plus, I have several more in the pipeline.

I've used as my reference source "Civil Aircraft Inspection Procedures" and "Civil Aircraft Airworthiness Information and Procedures", its modern equivalent. I have also got references from FAA Airworthiness Circulars. These are a little OTT for cars, but I'm editing-out the non-relevant bits.

The information contained in these publications is very useful, because it can be relied upon to be accurate and not just somebody's opinion - it is definite "Good Engineering Practice". 😬

I take your point that, as in most things, peoples opinions will differ and it is essential to keep away from the "I don't do it that way, so it can't be good" type of comments that might occur.

I'm sure Barry can be relied upon to keep us all on the right track - good ol' Barry. 😬

Regards

Tony

Hello Tony

Why dont we give it a go, just to see if it stimulates a little more interest.

Q. Are the articles you have written, available in unformatted plain text.

If so you could email them to me, and I will lay them out in HTML and PDF onto a spare WEB site.

Just one minor point - I dont do arty crafty WEB sites, just the technical stuff.

bwrobinson@tiscali.co.uk

Kind Regards

BB

BB,

Already done and posted to the our 7 website.

The site is under Barry's direct control and is not yet ready to "go operational", so is not yet viewable. Patience is a virtue - ralax 😬

Regards

Tony

Waiting for my GREEN SV kit 😬 Is there any other colour?

(Sumo Version?) - 11 weeks to go!

SvenDriver,

Barry has set-it-up like that.

Everybody relax - you will all be truely and totally amazed when you get to see it 😬

Barry is doing his usual first class job for the benefit of ALL of us and I'm sure you meant no disrespect when you mentioned Barry retaining copyright 😬 😬

Regards

Tony

Waiting for my GREEN SV kit 😬 Is there any other colour?

(Sumo Version?) - 10 1/2 weeks to go!