Click here if you are having website access problems ×

indicator switch wiring

Molecular--Bob

As i started to replace the loom on my 1990 spec supersprint i have hit my first issue.

I am working my way across the dash, starting at the wiper motor and unplugging the old plugs and plugging in the ones on new loom as i go.

I have reached the indicator switch and now i am confused, the old loom has 5 connectors on the back of the indicator switch, but the new loom only has 3 that match the colour coding of old one. The missing wires are on the end terminals of the switch, any idea what they do, or what i should do about them being absent?

The colour of 24 year old crossflow, meaning pretty grim. I will clean them tomorrow and update. They are not in the wiring diagram in the build manual, but neither is the 4th relay i seem to have. The replacement loom only has 3 relays so either i need to add one, or the replacement loom is to a different spec. Once its all hooked up i will power it up and see if the smoke escapes again.

Edited by - Molecular--Bob on 31 Mar 2014 21:10:02

Hi Elie

Thought about that but i don't think so. The ones with multiple wires have the same number and colours on both looms. I will be in a better position to figure this out tonight when i have cleaned the mystery wires on the old loom. They are original to the loom though, not later additions, so its all a bit strange.

My '95 build manual shows the Ford powered (Crossflow?) loom here. There is a single green common middle wire from the flasher relay and two pairs on each side, one of each pair going to the indicator warning lamp and the other to the indicators via the hazard switch. Green/red one side and green/white the other.

Maybe they split the wire pairs originally rather than commoning them up onto a single Lucar connector. Do you have hazards?

Paul

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 1 Apr 2014 13:20:18

Hi Paul

I look to have a fusebox and relay setup that matches your appendix B Vauxhall wiring drawing as i have 4 relays in the old loom, Think i will have to look at the wire codes as they enter the relay blocks and see what i can figure out. Neither of your diagrams have the extra wires though. The hazards were ok in the old loom, not powered the new one yet to see what works.

Edited by - Molecular--Bob on 1 Apr 2014 13:32:20

Mystery solved.

Upon closer inspection the unknown wires are piggybacked onto the outer terminals, so i unwrapped the loom and followed the wires which ended up in the plug for the old alarm, which used to flash the indicators when armed. These wires look to have been factory fitted unless the alarm fitter unpicked the loom to add these wires.

Just need to figure out the relay issue now.