Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sigma Oil type

My sigma 1.6 supersport 140 engine has Comma 5w-50 oil in it and needs a top up. Caterham recommend in handbook should have Formula E 5w-30 in it. What oil do you use /recommend in Sigma?. Had car since Xmas, mainly road use this coming year.

Don't run the wrong oil in a Supersport. And make sure that it's kept topped up if you're going to drive it hard.

I believe that Caterham have taken one of the solutions proposed by a race team to deal with the big end bearing failures that come from oil starvation, which in turn comes from oil being in the wrong place in the engine (or more often, having made an escape through the dipstick which is no longer in place).

Until then, run it on max and make sure it's breathing slightly in hard track use.

Jez

Thanks for your feedback. Need to replace oil pressure sensor, or change to a mechanical oil pressure setup, so will do full oil change then whilst gaining easier access to oil sensor. Cheers.

My present oil pressure sender is a Danfoss MBS 1350. As revealed by Richard Price in an earlier post (sorry Richard!) not sure it's any more reliable and everyone is telling me to go mechanical, except CC!

Interestingly, Opie Oils recommended putting 5w-40 oil in my Sigma engine! Better hot protection than 5w-30 they suggest *confused*

Hi all,

Same Sigma engine.

I emailed Opie with the same question last year thinking a 40 grade oil would offer better protection when hot than a 30. Their reply was to use the correct 5w-30 grade but to use something like Fuchs Titan Race Pro.

The other slight negative effects of a more viscous 40 grade is slightly more drag on the engine.

• 1 year later...

Thread Resurrection..

In the owners handbook it lists the following for oils:

Ford Sigma Formula E 5W-30
CSR/R400 Motorsport 5W-50
Track Driving Motorsport 5W-50

I interpreted this to mean that in the sigma, 5W-30 is for road use and 5W-50 should be used for track work.

The consensus in this thread is that 5W-50 is too thick and that a step up to 5W-40 is more suitable when used on track.   Have I interpreted the owners handbook incorrectly?

I've taken my Sigma Seven on track several times and had no problems using Mobil 1 5w30. Do keep an eye on the level though, my 125 doesn't use oil on the road, but does need topping up on a track day.

Duncan