Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine cut out whilst driving

Alex Sideburns

Hi

Any ideas what I should be checking for to eliminate a problem that I have had on my last two outings?

I have a xflow with early megajolt ignition. On two occasions whilst gently accelerating the engine has mysteriously cut out. The ignition (red) light comes on and the car drifts to a halt. On both occasions the engine was up to running temperature. Blipping the throttle didn't enable me to "jump start" the car whilst it was still in motion. On both occasions I was able to restart the engine straight away using the ignition key and "normal" service was resumed!

On the second occasion the car was still moving when I turned the ignition key to restart the engine and there was a pop/bang from the exhaust so I figure that the fuel was still getting through so more likely to be an electrical issue?

Has anybody else had this problem or have any thoughts on how it could be solved. Like all intermittent faults I'm left wondering when it will happen next!

Crossflow wiring to the alternator will cause engine cut out. The terminals "dry out" next to the exhaust and this intermittently cuts the ignition feed. Pull all 3 connections off the alternator, clean up, tighten with pliers and refit.

Edited by - ECR on 24 Mar 2014 17:36:02