Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series - Heater not blowing hot Air

CliffC

Quoting David Mirylees: 
Just a thought but if you remove both heater hoses and join them (use eg. a piece of copper pipe) this will bypass the heater.

Run the car gently and see if you have the continued problem.

I predict this won't affect the observed behaviour.

DIY testing for exhaust contamination of coolant was discussed in this thread, but I don't know if reliable kits are currently available.

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

final update:

It was a HGF located near the front facing cylinder. This has now been replaced with a head skim for good measure.

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread and also Rich (Skeetsy) who came round and confirmed it was HGF before it went to the garage for repair *thumbup*

I took the opportunity to replace the water pump, cam belt, sump (it had been whacked too many times for comfort) as well so all good now.

Regards

Cliff

Jonathan

Firstly the clues were there but I suppose you always hope it is not the HGF. When Rich came over we took the plugs out and checked them and they all looked Ok. We then stuck this probe camera down the plug hole to see the top of the piston. They all looked dry except the forward facing cylinder. I had also smelt the coolant and though it smelt of exhaust which again Rich agreed with.

the garage confirmed the HG had failed very close to the wet looking piston. I had also read somewhere that the most common cause of a heater going hot then cold was down to HGF on a K series.

Regards

Cliff

Glad to hear it's all sorted. I went through the same at the end of last summer - is it, isn't it - in the end convinced myself it was HGF and bit the bullet and changed it. At least we know we shouldn't have to worry about HGF for another few years now 😬