Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Question for polishers

Delbert

Cannot believe I am asking this as my normal approach to car cleaning is " Audi will do it at the next service "

My exhaust was vey shiny . After a few trackdays and blast it is defiantly going brown where the primaries exit the car and head up to the can

Whilst I am not a polisher if I could keep them nearer silver longer it would be a positive

Next , this miracle spray foam and spray polish in a bottle I keep see advertised

Ie miracle foam sprayed on , rinsed off and then a bottle of miracle spray Polish is clipped onto hose and sprayed

Is it more trouble than it's worth , it seems to easy and that never bodes well Chez Delbert

The seven exhaust and primaries can be kept shiny with not much effort, using Autosol metal polish (from Halfords). It almost does not matter how bad they get before you polish them, but it does vary the amount of time a hand polish job takes to make them shine again. I think I polish mine about 2 - 3 times a year for a maximum of about 30 mins each time.

I have never used the Car Plan products being advertised, I use a proper Snow Foam lance from Ultimate Finish and Blit Hamber Auto Foam. Snow Foam is supposed to be used to clean the car so it is clean enough to be washed with a buckets and mitts. This all helps to minimise the tiny fine scratches (called marring) which you can see on most cars (even new) which spoils the deep shine. My tin top has a nice polish level, and my snow foam cleans the car to such an extent that most of the time thats all thats needed. While waiting for the snow foam to do its job you can see the dirt flowing off. I very much doubt a product designed to be used on a garden hose will perform as well.

For a quick shine, try Tough coat from Auto Finesse. Its a trigger spray synthetic way which takes about 10mins to polish a tin top.

Finally I wouldn't use a pressure washer on my Seven, so hence I won't Snow Foam it, so for me that leaves a problem of how to get it clean enough for a hand wash. Auto Finesse to the rescue again on this, because they have a pre wash product called Citrus Power which is a hand spray on product that lifts dirt.

Hope this helps

Having read this thread I've just got out some 400 and 800 grit and with autosol polished up the exhaust. First time since building the car 8 years ago. It has came up a treat in not much time at all. Not sure if that has been a good thing though as I have lost 20 minutes of my life and all I have is a shiny exhaust.

Edited by - Roadsport06 on 23 Mar 2014 12:18:10

Please dont ever wash the bonnet with it on the car.

I have seen quite a number of instances where cars with K, Ztec and Duratec engines have developed a misfire only to find that the holes that the plugs sit down in have been flooded when the car has been washed with the bonnet on.

EU2 K engines need the leads replacing ... cost from CC £53 but EU3 or other coil over leads can be very expensive.... £100 each for the 2 coil over on a K

Ah the infamous Delbert and the power washer incident

I believe PowderPuff and Mav peed a little when he realized what I had done

never washes Zena again

however it was a condition of sale that FiFi was kept clean and ready for,inspection at Stoneleigh *biggrin*