Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ignition Light failing to go out on Xflow

Susan S.

I have a standard SuperSprint (1700 X-flow). The ignition light (i.e the red light) this does not go out when the car has been started, sometimes if you rev it a bit it will go out and then when the revs drop it will come on again - but this does not happen all the time. Also the battery is losing charge. When I come to a stop at traffic lights etc you have to rev the engine to stop the engine from cutting out. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this as I hate electrics! Thanks.

It may not be the alternator itself. One common problem is the connectors on the back oft he alternator. Disconnect these (note which one goes where!) clean up both parts of each contact and try again. It worked for em many times.

Good luck

Matt

Is it a bike? Is it a car? No it's Blackbirdman *cool*

Hi.

The ignition lamp is connected between:

-1: the positive connector of the battery

-2: to make it simple, the output of the alternator

Engine stopped, 1 is +12V and 2 is 0V -> light on (diff=12V)

Engine running and all OK, 1 is +13.5V and 2 is +13.5V -> light off (diff=0V)

At very low idle, 1 is +12V and 2 can be 8V -> light slightly on (diff=4V)

You tell that if you rev the engine, the light goes off, so it seems normal.

Maybe you just need a battery charging and an idle tuning?

Jeff

LHD 1990 BDR

Womble, Alternators have to reach a certain speed before they 'excite' and start generating a proper output. What you are seeing is that it has to be rev'd higher before this happens (i.e. the light goes out). It would suggest that the alternator is on its way out. I'd just go and get a recon, they cost next to nothing and are a peice of cake to change.

Steve, your problem sounds like the regulator is gone, the output is climbing over more 13.8 V the higher you rev it. As the battery acts as a big capacitor and will tend to hold the voltage at the correct level, this won't do much harm short term to all of the electrics in the car. It is attempting to overcharge the battery though and will knacker the battery after a while.

---john---

I remember at one time that 'Lucas' would supply replacement regulator packs for home replacement. I think those days are long gone though. Too much trouble to keep in stock/people don't want to do it/too much fuss/product liability etc.

I needed one 'cos I borrowed a battery from a friend when mine on the Triumph was 'flat' (from a boot interior light switch fault) and it all fitted exactly the same as it was size perfect. What I failed to notice that the pos terminal on the particular battery was actually the neg etc. Ooops.New alt reg required. *thumbdown*