Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Booster seat?

We have a Roadsport SV with lowered floor on drivers side. My wife is a little shorter than I and she finds the driving position a little too low for comfort (a few inches). We are planning to attend the Intro to Sprinting day and were wondering if anyone had any ideas or come across some sort of 'booster seat'. Of course we could opt for a cushion but were hoping to find something more in keeping with the existing Caterham leather seats.

Thanks

Item closed - see post at the end for the solution. *smile*

Edited by - Davies-Johnston on 23 Mar 2014 21:38:55

Comfort-wise, making one out of two-part foam is the best bet. But whether that will be "in keeping" with the existing seats I don't know. I suppose you could cover it in leather if you're really worried about that. Search the archives for "foam seats" or "two part foam" and ignore apocryphal canoe stories.

I bought some foam/sponge from ebay designed for sofas. It's about 3" thick. I cut it to the shape of the seat, and then wrapped it in duct tape. It looks pretty tidy and it lifts the other half up high enough so that she's comfortable sitting in the car. She's only 5'3", so without the seat she wouldn't be able to drive the car at all, even with the seat all the way forward (it's already all the way forward for me and I'm 5'8".

I also made a seat backing out of the same stuff that pushes her forward by the same amount. Works a treat. Without the foam, I can sit comfortably in the car, then when she wants to drive we just pop the foam in and the seat is all set for her - no messing about with moving the seat.

I'd love to get it covered in leather eventually, but it's fine with duct tape to be honest!

Edited by - FramerateUK on 18 Mar 2014 10:35:49

We bought a go kart seat insert for my wife. She is happy without it as a passenger, but cannot reach the pedals for driving. We bought it on ebay, I think.

Type go kart foam seat into google and check out the pictures. It is the seat with golfball sized scoops taken out of the back. I think it is made by a Company called Caliba (SRS)

All

Very many thanks for all the replies - they were much appreciated. The stories about 2-part foam were fantastic but I took a safer approach in the end.

Problem solved with a purchase of a 'Sweet cheeks'. It is an excellent bit of kit (designed for Kayaks) but also very well suited to the bucket seats of a 7. It has created the necessary 'boost' and all are happy. *wavey*

Thanks