Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crash Hats for track days

TerryF

Can anyone give any advice about buying a crash helmet. I hope to be doing two or three track days or maybe sprints throughut the year, but nothing more. I am aware of the BS standards required as these were discussed LF in August this year.

Any ideas where to go in the Sussex, Surrey Kent area, ideas on prices or specific makes. *confused*

the best advise is to get one that fits correctly and comfortably, you may be suprised to find out that different helmets from different manfacturers are different *smile* for this you will probably need to go to somewhere that has different ones to try one (DT, GPR etc)

If you can get to the autosport show in the new year then this would be a good place to start and try a few on...

the other consensus opionion is 'you have only one head sodon't loose it' (which is also a quote from highlander btw *cool*) , which is basically saying this is one area of safety protection that is vital and go for the best helmet you can afford...

as for specific standards there has been some discussion on the recent threads about club trackdays at octagon run venues, and you may want to check that out for exact standards. These will be the same as for the club sprints and trackdays I think (but do not quote me on that) , although other trackday operating companies may have different requirements

From what I can remember things that are ok inlcude, not sure what else, I think there is some new ee standard that is not ok at the minute

*arrowright*snell 2000

*arrowright*snell 95

*arrowright*Goldstamp Helmets

*arrowright*BSI 6658 Type A

*arrowright*UN ECE 22.05

rob

Edited by - robmar on 20 Dec 2002 11:52:01

How do I know what my helmets rated too, sounds daft but it's less than a year old and the only mark I can find is E3 (think it's a euro kitemark kind of thing) on one of the straps. It's a Suomy BTW.

Think I'm kidding myself and also think I wasted my cash on a bike hat that is probably fine for it's 2 wheeled purpose but what's the technical reasoning on it being no good for track days?

I realise it's not got a fireproof lining tho.

I think there should be something stiched in somewhere detailing what standard it is ( or at least for motorsport helemts, not sure for bike lids)

this can be behind some of the padding inside the helmet sometimes, so have a dig around, you never know

if it is not fireproof then I suspect it may not conform to MSA regs, as I think they all need a level of fireproofing, ICBWIOA *confused*

rob

I went to Autosport show last year on one of the two public days and the stands are so busy they just cannot give you the time you need to try on several helmets so I that is your only reasoin for going do not bother. However IMO great show and worth attending. I am going on a trade day this year!!!!

couple of weeks later went to Demon Tweeks but had very little stock (so check up first) Couple of weeks later passing GPR in Chiwick went in excellent Stock and bought Simpson Bandit which is Snell 2000 rated to Octagon had better allow them on track days!!!!

Tony

They might have been talking out their 🙆🏻, but someone once told me there was a difference between bike and car helmets because they're designed for different types of impacts. Certainly there's very little need for a bike helmet to have Nomex (fire resistant) lining.

I would emphasise getting a helmet that fits properly however (i.e. tight enough so that when you hold the helmet you can't shake your head without the helmet moving) - and yes, the different manufacturers do seem to manufacture for different shaped heads. I've got a Shoei shaped head, but not an Arai shaped one!!!

Edited by - Martin H on 20 Dec 2002 17:51:21

A lot of my fellow racers use bike helmets. Main point is buying one that meets the bike racing criteria with a British Motorcycle Sport sticker and British Standard Type A sticker. For £1 a MSA Scrutineer will then inspect your helmet and put the new MSA "Helmet approved for motor sport" sticker on it.

Bikers seem so like them as fashion accessories and at this time of year the new paint schemes are released. That means that bikers shops sell off this year's remaining stock at heavily discounted prices. A good Shoei should cost around £120.

Racing pics and items for sale here

You wioll have a job to find a bike lid with Type A approval anymore. I have done a lot of research into the subject.

Terry - best advise about fit is to try as many different brands and styles as possible, as they all fit differently. The one that fits best is the one to go for.

There may be some bargins at the show, but DT will not be much chaper than normal. GPR will probably be the same.

If you plan to take part in any motorsport other than trackdays, best advise to to get a lid that conforms to the standards. - BEWARE EC22-05 (a bike lid standard) is NOT accepted by the MSA as suitable for motorsports.

Regards,

Martin

• Leadership Team

What Mav is correctly reffering to is the old "Type A" approval as given to bike helmets has now been replaced by EC22 - 05. Not a problem in itself for protecting the old grey matter on a bike on the road, but not accepted by the MSA or, I believe, the club for trackdays. Possibly a "paperwork" issue rather than a safety matter.

Check out a recent thread on helmets with a complete guide to what is and is not acceptable (cant remember who posted it - could have been Paul Davis?), or check with Peter Steer.

Stu.

Hi all

Well as I bought a "New" Arai GP5 just over a year ago from Grand Prix Raceware

No plug intended for Grand Prix Raceware but just to quote from their site as an example it says the Arai GP5 is

"New top of the range helmet. Features the exceptionally strong Super Complex Laminate Construction, new FFS cheekpads for improved fit, and a new visor unique to the GP5. Full Nomex Lining. Snell SA2000 approved."

So I am just a bit miffed if not *mad* over this ruling. Now Paul Davis has posted ]here that club days are except what about other track days such as Slipstream 🤔 Hi Alex any comments will my Helmet be good on Slipstream's next day any events booked yet 🤔

As to other expensive helmets back to the "Grand Prix Raceware"

Top of the Range Bell Dominator Ultra.

Bell's latest in aerodynamic helmet technology, designed for high speed, open cockpit racing. The ultra lightweight shell and aerodynamic design significantly reduce buffeting and lift at high speeds. Popular with F1 & Champ Car drivers. SA2000 & SFI 31

The Simpson's best ignoring the for intercom Sparco WTT-F1 helmet is Sparco WTT-TK helmet

Based on the WTT-F1 shell but with a wider aperture & increased ventilation. This makes the WTT-TK ideal for Karting,closed cockpit cars & drivers that wear spectacles. Full nomex lining with removable chin pads. Supplied with spoiler kit A. Snell SA2000

All the other Simpson ones are BS6658-85A FR.

Ok as Michael posted the 2003 blue book allows the SA2000 in F1 it also seems to be the standard in 2002 for the more expensive helmets and those should be the ones that offer the best protection 🤔.

As Octagon seem to have ban these and if some poor sole has a head injury would this not allow that person a good chance of suing the pants off Octagon for forbidding them from using the best quality helmet and therefore by implication the best protection 🤔

Is their just one manufacturer that does not make Snell SA2000 helmets Simpson seem close to this or are all the 2003 range going to be non Snell SA2000 helmets about to be launched *confused* *confused* *confused*

Think this qualifys for a rant as I should have asked Santa for a cheap lid *mad*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension. Q 979 CGY

Edited by - bilbo on 24 Dec 2002 19:31:46

Funny the link page does not work nor could I post a similar message on the page Helmet Specs - Good news from Octagon on Chitchat as I had intended. *confused*

Edited by - Bilbo on 24 Dec 2002 19:41:39

Bilbo

Know how you feel, done same thing but just the basic GP5k, and not that happy about Octagon. Most of the track days I intend on doing will be run via easy-track who use Brands quite a bit so maybe a problem. Need to get a passenger helmet so was going to buy SA2000 to meet L7C regs but not sure now as I need to be able to use anywhere, can't have one type for this and then another for that.

Just out of interest with regards to GPR, the Simpson's with BS standard instead of SA2000 is this in the 2003 catalogue as the 2002 one shows all Simpson's except the Outlaw(Snell M2000) to be SA2000.

terry