Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering lock

Hi, I'm new to a Caterham7 (last weekend *smile*) so still finding my way around the car. The car is an ex-demo owned by Caterham. I have noticed that the steering lock doesn't seem to work and on further inspection there seems to be a single spade connector on the back of the ignition switch that is unconnected. My first question is, do the steering locks work on any Caterhams? My second question is, do all Caterhams have unconnected wiring at the ignition switch (all the electrics seem to work). Many thanks in advance!

• Area Representative

Do you have a removable steering wheel. If so there will be no steering lock.

Likely to be a lot of unconnected wires on a Caterham as the loom is not specific to the 7. I suspect the spade you have identified is one for the first click on the key i.e. on a "normal" car this brings on the radio without the ignition.

Hope this helps and you enjoy the car and the club. 😬

• Area Representative

Quoting Jonnyonthewire: 
It's a fixed Momo steering wheel.

Strange. For a removable wheel the column has no collar where the lock locates. A fixed wheel column normally has the collar. If you wanted to investigate further you would need to remove the column.

It's possible for the welds on lock collar lock to break. When mine was stolen the police thought they had used a long lever through the wheel and snapped the welds between the collar and column. They then just hot-wired it, but as it was an old-school crossflow they flattened the battery as they didn't pump the throttle before starting.

Probably best to check the column as Chris at the 7 workshop thought the collar had the potential to jam the steering.

edited for pre-coffee spelling

Edited by - Molecular--Bob on 17 Mar 2014 09:34:56

Thanks to all who have replied. It's great to know there is such great support for us newbies. I'm away for a few days so can't check on the reccomendations made but once back I will hang upside down under the steering wheel and take a proper look at what's what.