Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Another Duratec Hunting, TPS, IACV Thread

I have a 175 Roadsport, 2L Duratec, 5 speed box, non LSD. The ECU is Caterham part number 30L152A (R300 Plastic Plenum). I have had the car running a few times now and just can't find a sweet spot for cold and warm idle. The car is going for a PBC to midlands soon but you know how it is, you want to fix it yourself or at least know what's up.

I have read various threads about the TPS voltage needing to be 1.03V but I am not sure if that was for a 2L Duratec. When I set the brown to white TPS to 1.03 (by adjusting the screw), the car would not start and stay running. I did turn the key to position II and disconnect the battery as I had read that may reset the ECU. However no luck with the TPS at 1.03V.

When cold I need to set the TPS to ~1.07V to get the car to run steady. However if I start to rev the engine then it takes a few hunts for the car to settle. As the car warms up I seem to need to set the idle faster (TPS ~ 1.1v) to stop it hunting.

It all seems a bit of hit and miss. I have had a look at the butterfly to ensure it fully closes and the air intake is not disformed. I have also checked the plenum and pipes for leaks but car see or feel anything obvious.

My mindset is that I have a friday engine as a few bolts were not even done up and the alternator spindle bolt fell off on the first few fire ups.

If there is any obvious reset or tweaks I should make to get to a steady point I would appreciate it. Otherwise I guess I will wait on the PBC.

Thanks Alan,

I have just put another 16mm earth on the battery but this time taken it to the chassis thread next to the battery. No change I'm afraid. I can set it to run ok cold but then it hunts warm etc etc. Still lumpy throttle response.

I unplugged the TPS connector and nothing changed with the way the engine ran. Not sure if that is as it should be or not.

I'm sure caterham plugging in a PC will solve it.

Andrew