Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heavy bits, not Superlight.

Red Line Components

Weighed my wheel and tyre today. It comes in at 13kg per corner. So there is something to come off there. How much does an ACB10 weigh. I know it is a sad question, but so what.

There is also the exhaust which certainly on my SLR weighs in at a fair old weight. Who does a replacement carbon silencer?

Does 110kg driver come under the Super Light catagory?

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Attention to detail when building any car can pay dividends-

at last weight check 487kg for vauxhall 16v race car-all its takes is time to think about where weight can be taken from-however i must warn any budding anorexic caterham owners that it gets very expensive - last course of weight reduction has to be an alloy block - needs must i suppose in search of 500bhp per tonne with driver

dave k

I got my road going Caterham in at 496kg at the Emerald day a couple of months ago.

Without any quantitive evidence my top ten weight-saving tips would be:

JPE Aeroscreen (saves screen, wipers, washer, hood, sidesceens)

1996 Vauxhall race roll hoop rather than FIA bar

Fuel surge pot so you can run the main tank empty

SLR500 wheels, ACB10's and no spare

Ally bellhousing

Red top battery

Ally case gearbox

Carbon silencer can

Race brakes

Attention to detail to take off everything unnecessary everywhere

I've also got some contact lenses for next year which will be lighter than the specs. Fanatical? Yep. The only thing that's bothering me now is the damn lager, just can't seem to give it up....

As for alloy blocks? Just don't get me started. It doesn't matter how light the car is if it never gets out of the garage.

> Red top battery

> can you elaborate a little bit

I used a red top 30 battery made by DMS technology, aka Varley, these are a racing battery that can be installed on their side, upside down or anywhere without leaking. It came from Demon Tweeks, cost a fair bit more than a standard battery but it only weighs 9kg (see page 168 of the new DT catalogue). This is more than enough to start my big high-CR Vauxhall engine. I am planning to try a red top 25 (save 3kg!!) next year for sprinting with the 30 acting as a jump battery in the paddock and swop them for road use between sprints.

You can also get them cheap from race technology, contact them on

http://www.race-technology.com/WebPage/Main.html

> And where did the carbon silencer can come from?

It came from SBD.

I've used a Red Top 25 all year with no probs. Not done many road miles, but I suspect that trailering the car to a sprint every other weekend where it gets lots of starts and only a few minutes running is probably harder on the battery than road use. It's never needed any extra-curricular charging.

Mike

Thanks Chelspeed. I was envisaging to use a Red Top 40 as its capacity is 35Ah, identical to the one of the standard Caterham battery.

So "hawker" and "red top" are the same except that hawker are for some time for sale at half the price.

A Red Top 30 is 26Ah, significantly lower though than the capacity of a 40. I am concerned that the Rover Immobiliser dries it up quickly. I charge my standard caterham battery every week for one hour or so to be safe.

I wonder how many kg I would spare by moving from a standard caterham battery to a Red Top 30.

Is there any need to replace the leads?

Pierre

Top tips for saving weight!!!!!!!!this only applies to race cars as some may not be practical on a road car

Make your own wiring loom using circuit breakers - this removes all the fuse box and switches.

Use AN spec bolts of exact length on all suspension points - as well as being lighter they have a greater shear strength for less weight

Front suspension wishbones - make your own using lighter section

tube, i used oval section tube for additional aerodynamic effect !!!! , also this lets you use rod end bearings so you can alter caster/camber easily.

penske alloy bodied shocks - any weight advantage however is negated by the remote reservoirs

swindon vauxhall magnesium cam cover - saves 2.5kg over standard.

swindon dry sump system -work of art saves 2kg over standard type dry sump

work out electrical current draw -red top 25 is minimum that will start a high compression engine ,however you also need to consider current draw of fuel pumps ,ecu instuments,wipers etc.

if you want to use a red top 20 consider using a jump battery to start car and the on board to start on if necessary.red top 40 if possibly a bit overkill in a seven

alloy gearcase - saves 4kg over standard iron case ,4 speed quaife dog box is approx 12 kg lighter than a 5/6 speed box at 32 kg

rear drive shafts - remake in f1 spec gundrilled steel tube with

using lightweight cv joints on inner diff side using sierra bolt on type output shafts - shafts save over half the weight over standard- this is a future plan to do to my car

use alloy bolts an any non structural parts - rear wings etc ,

remake rear wings in lightweight fibreglass

r500 wheels - unpainted as the black cromate looks ok

fuel/oil dry sump system all in ultra lightweight braided hose,dry sump tank small enough to carry 4.5 ltr oil in total

tubular roll bars - 1/2 weight of standard bars

I think thats all for know

cheers dave

Mike

4 speed dog box weighs in at 20 kg less oil - as i dont need absolute top speed for hillclimbing this is ideal - race ratios are close enough to keep engine in rev range of 5500 to 9000 and with a 4.4 diff this gives max speed of 129 at 8500.Engine gives 186 lb ft of torque so 6 speed ratios not really necessary.i did look at the quaife sequential box with 5 speed ratios with 1.1 5th which would have let me use a 3.92 diff with a good spread of ratios ,i however felt strength of the dog box and speed of change would be better suited.

andrew - new caterham built to replace vision which i still have in garage less engine which now resides in caterham.I decided that a caterham was more fun to drive as i didn,t have to worry about wing settings,what gear ratios to run etc

cheers

dave

Hmmm, that's where my argument falls to the ground, Quaife would only say heavier than the dog box...

It's going to be alloy case again. I'll weigh it when it arrives and will of course spill the beans. Rest assured no efforts will be spared in reducing the weight of everything else to compensate.