Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

the best chassis for the 7

eric

I also have a 1989 big tube chassis. Must be a bit heavier I would have thought. Probably a bit stronger too.

Is yours a De Dion? There are some strange bits on my De Dion. It has live axle rear shocks. The shockers mount through the De Dion tube, not on a bracket welded below. The A-frame and geometry is different to the later cars. I'm not making any major changes to it as it handles really well.

The best person to ask about chassis information is Bruce at Arch Motors.

AMMO

Standard K chassis is the same as the R500. Only changes are for a race chassis. This is on all current models. Don't know when this changed.

Info from Caterham and Arch.

Richard in France

Awaiting chassis to start building my Duratec 7 😬 *thumbup*

Acrh told me there 32 different ones [new ones ]

They are all the same by design just extras [ little brackets etc]

Except the R500 as this is built using CDS tube but the same by design.

Caterham told me also the R500 has extra powder coating [when pressed he said it was just the engine bay all black]

Does this help?

Paul.

See My Car Here

I have a de dion.

This chassis has a very good performance, but I don't know the others

Normally, the more recent ones are the best

It is different, I think for the A frame, the spax and the way they are fixed

at the rear, You can see them behind the roll bar

and there is one tube under the gearbox between the right and the left side of the chassis.

For me it is perfect,

There are subtle differences between a true "R500" chassis and a superlight type. A true r500 chassis has no triangular brackets/bosses in the corners of the cockpit behind the drivers right shoulder, nor does it have a wiper motor bracket and presumably washer bottle amongst other things.

A lot of R500s are built on the normal SLR 98MY (or maybe the 01) chassis which allows installation of screen/wipers etc.

I'm not sure what the difference between the SLR98(?) chassis and the SL96.5. I have an SL96.5 chassis (2001 superlight car). It has the rear watts link points and lower rear ARB mounting which differentiates it from the 96on Roadsport chassis. It now appears roadsports are using this chassis too

Pre 96 dedion chassis dont have the front anti dive geometry or tunnel mounted handbrake of the post 96 cars. The anti dive is a moot point in many peoples opinion (I cant comment).

Race chassis are different to all of the above. They have welded engine bay triangulation, short passenger footwells, thick honeycomb floors....

Edited by - bob corb on 20 Dec 2002 13:57:34

All

From what I can remember:

1.Post 96 Live axle chassis's are different in having extra mounts front suspension

2.Race Chassis's have their handbrake under LH side dash and short passenger footwell even on K series cars and extra bracing under the seat areas (option I think)

Graham

*confused* The not so New Competition Secretary, in fact already jaded *confused*

*cool* 1700 Live Axle X/Flow, new pb at Curb, Loton Park and Shelsley Walsh in 2002 *cool*