Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

6 speed gearbox

Anthony

The version in SLR's/R500's seems to be just fine. They are used in the race cars and i don't hear of any problems. My R500 has taken a lot of abuse and seems as good as new.

All of which is more than i can say of experienc of me and friends with the Quaif 5 speeds, which always seem to need syncro rings replaced.

Early 6 speeders did have a couple of weaknesses but are now sorted. My G'box from '97 developed a fault with 5th and was stripped and thoroughly upgraded by Phil Stewart. This was after about 6,000 hard miles. It has since done a further 1500 miles, not really a test I know but, touch wood, all seemns well.

There are a number of upgrades to the gearbox to make it stronger and most can be retro-fitted.

Part numbers from Caterham are:

2nd gear part number 70043U

3rd gear part number 70045R

5th gear part number 70040U

Layshaft part number 70065U

If the gearbox is recent it may have most of these mods. If it is old then it may have none of them. The original 5th gear design is not suited to 200bhp being driven over the kerbs on big fat sticky tyres and with either an open diff or an AP Suretrak diff. I had a 2nd gear strip teeth, from 250bhp bouncing over the kerbs at Curborough.

There are also uprated selector forks for really old boxes.

Thanks Guys,

Phil was a great help ( looks like my box c.3 yrs old ) will not need too much done, perhaps syncros/selectors/minor mods so should be a lot cheaper than major rebuild.

Phil has suggested I get the diff looked at as well - so something else to worry about

Best regards

Anthony

VX the real way sideways

Meeoowwww,

can someone get a saucer of milk for my AO, Mr Morris! *biggrin*

Infact, phil's upgrade work was done last winter which means I've done about 1500-2000 miles on it this year. I know its shameful, but the weather was crap, my dampers were rock solid and I moved home. Anyway, i'll make up for it in 2003. Coming to the Ring in April Rob?