Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Evans waterless coolant

Cookie Monster

My conclusion after reading and watch you tube "test" of different coolants, is EVENS is really suited to car that sit for extensive periods of time, but from what I have seen it isn't the B all, re corrosion protection, propylene glycol seems to be the best

I've always known water is the best of all however corrosion is the issue over time. So a corrosion inhibitor and demineralised water is what I have decided to use or a Premix 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why demineralised water rather than tap water?

I appreciate that you add an inhibitor, but when you remove the minerals the water will try to re-gain balance by stealing the minerals from the surroundings.

In other words: Demineralised water on its own is agressive.

Good question Johnathan

I found this test which by any standard is basic but be that as it may, it’s the result of the same metal type samples in different coolants and after 12 months of static immersion in different types of coolant and Propylene had the lest corrosion. Take note of the effect Evans has on the three metals. 

The test is not totally definitive But it’s simple.

rj 

tap water has other natural minerals dissolved in it and of these there are a level of dissolved salts, where I live the water has a concentration of dissolved calcium, making the water “hard”. Yes demineralised water will create its own corrosion but only with metals it comes in contact with iron/ steal an Aluminium.

And to add another complexity is the black compound in the rubber hoses( that what corrodes the aluminium castings the worst.)

So why not give the system a fighting chance.

More googling I found some point differences between propylene glycol and ethylene

https://www.monarchchemicals.co.uk/Information/News-Events/700-/The-difference-between-Propylene-Glycol-and-Ethylene-Glycol-in-antifreeze

The level of toxicity. Propylene glycol has a very low toxicity, which is why it is also found in cosmetics and personal care products, whereas ethylene glycol is poisonous and must be handled with caution to restrict any human or animal exposure.

So why not just use propylene glycol? There are a number of benefits using ethylene glycol over propylene glycol, especially in closed loop systems were risk of contact with food is minimal. For example, freeze point depression is much more effective using ethylene glycol – so more propylene glycol would be required to maintain the same freeze point as ethylene. As well as this, due to the lower viscosity of ethylene glycol it possesses excellent heat transfer properties.

This article is the differnce between Glycol Heat-Transfer Fluids Ethylene Glycol versus Propylene Glycol

http://www.veoliawatertech.com/crownsolutions/ressources/documents/2/21823,Glycol.pdf

Interesting pont about water quality

Water Quality: High quality water will help maintain system efficiency and prolong glycol fluid life. Recommended water characteristics include: Less than 50 ppm calcium (as CaCO3), Less than 50 ppm magnesium (as CaCO3), Less than 100 ppm total hardness (as CaCO3), Less than 25 ppm chloride (as CaCO3), and Less than 25 ppm sulfate (as CaCO3).

• Area Representative

So, to the questions post, there have been three replies...

auyt encouraging a survey.
NeilCSR replying why he does use Evans
rj replying why he does not use Evans

From the amount of posts this has generated, I would expect more replies to those two survey questions (thank you auyt for the right term).

Toxicology and thermal capacity discussed earlier, and probably not contentious. Thermal transfer is. Evans say that engines will run hotter but add that their product avoids local boiling. I'm not aware of any evidence that that occurs in the engine systems under consideration.

http://www.veoliawatertech.com/crownsolutions/ressources/documents/2/21823,Glycol.pdf

Interesting pont about water quality

Water Quality: High quality water will help maintain system efficiency and prolong glycol fluid life. Recommended water characteristics include: Less than 50 ppm calcium (as CaCO3), Less than 50 ppm magnesium (as CaCO3), Less than 100 ppm total hardness (as CaCO3), Less than 25 ppm chloride (as CaCO3), and Less than 25 ppm sulfate (as CaCO3).

That is interesting, and I'd often wondered about it. I use premixed coolant.

But accidental poisoning and DIY dilution are connected. One of the ways that children (and possibly adults) get poisoned by antifreeze is by drinking the leftover bit from eg a drinks bottle that has been used to do the diluting: looks like a drinks bottle, no safety cap, brightly coloured, sweet... and you only need to ingest a small volume to cause problems.

Jonathan

But accidental poisoning and DIY dilution are connected. One of the ways that children (and possibly adults) get poisoned by antifreeze is by drinking the leftover bit from eg a drinks bottle that has been used to do the diluting: looks like a drinks bottle, no safety cap, brightly coloured, sweet... and you only need to ingest a small volume to cause problems.

There are two types of glycol 

Ethylene glycol. This is the most common used in cooling systems and is poisonous 
Propylene glycol . This actually used in food production equipment because it’s not as toxic 

this is good article on the difference. And these you cannot mix

the article also takes about the efficiency of the two Ethylene is slightly better, both are corrosive so both require anti corrosive additives, and the anti corrosive additive has a twelve months life... interesting as manufacturers sell premix with 7 year life.

In my case as my engine made in 1968 (now freshly rebuilt with BRM valve and port spec head, 11.1 comp with LOTUS Sprint cams) so I planning a coolant change with each oil change. 

Am I reading that incorrectly or is their chemistry a bit awry?

• Less than 50 ppm magnesium (as CaCO3).  Did they mean "as MgCO3"?

• Less than 25 ppm chloride (as CaCO3).  Did they mean "as CaCl2"

• Less than 25 ppm sulfate (as CaCO3).  Did they mean "as CaSO4"

JV

Thanks, Jonathan.

The hardness of water is expressed in terms of ppm [of CaCO3] because the molecular weight of calcium carbonate is 100gm/mol. It is easy to calculate.

Neat. That point had escaped me!

The hardness is not entirely due to calcium – magnesium is usually present to some extent and other multivalent cations. When the hardness is expressed as CaCO3, it is calculated as if the magnesium, etc. were there as calcium.  It also includes ... chloride, sulphate and nitrate.

Ah, so.  That's what triggered my original comment.

JV

• 1 year later...

It's interesting to me as well. I'd love to know what is thought to be the best for a K series Superlight. The answer may be buried somewhere in those 195 posts but it's too daunting. Perhaps some kind soul with the required technical knowledge could draw up a chart for all models?

It's a minefield. 

Personally, I'd use Comma G30 (as I did in my 1999 1.8K for many years). In 1999, CC didn't specify any more precisely than "Antifreeze containing a corrosion inhibitor should be maintained at a 33% proportion".  For the later cars, they recommended "Comma X-stream Red OAT" (aka G30) for Duratecs and "Ford Super Plus Anti-freeze" for Sigmas.

There's some background reading here and here and here -- and that's just for starters!

JV

• 2 years later...