Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Build

David Lynch

Hello All

After a bit of fortuitous timing in the For Sale section I now have in my possession the bulk of what I need to build a rather nice 1.6 (I know I should have bought an early Superlight!!!). I intend this thread being a way to display my ineptitude, frustrations and log what happens in the coming months (or likely years).

Recent purchase is a set of TF160 Pistons all nicely sitting on 1.6 Rods

I've had a 1.6 lying around in many plastic bags nicely labelled up since ...2008 !! Everything is tagged/bagged/marked as to position it came out of. Head is still fully assembled and I am considering a Dremel + Tungsten Carbide assault ! Nothing has had rulers or verniers over it yet (i.e. Big End sizings, Liner Heights etc.) but it was from a very low mileage Rover 200 Auto.

I have a 1.4K SS in the car which may donate it's Cams and followers (not yet ascertained if this is possible, practical or sensible?). However straight Cylinder head drop is not an option.

I would like to target a nice round 160-170bhp (which may be possible off standard induction?) With a view to adding Throttle Bodies over time and mating to an R&RT fettled six speed (as the Race teams go Sadev).

I'll get into the technicalities of measuring and prepping liners, big end bearings, balancing, porting, ECU's, Induction system, Head gaskets, Oil Ladders, Vernier Pulleys, block grinding etc. etc. over time....but what would you do ?

Hints, tips, pitfalls and abuse gratefully accepted 😬

Do it once, do it right. *thumbup*

Fit stiffer valve springs and caps while you've got the head in bits. It's the main lesson I learnt during my transplant, after bending all my exhaust valves trying to find out where the power started to tail off. And have someone who knows what they are doing to port and modify the head, as it does make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things when done properly. No way was I brave enough to try it myself!

The best cams for you with a plenum might not be the best cams for individual throttle bodies. But if the bottom end and head have been specced and prepped highly from the start, then it's just a case of changing the cams, which is a normal nuts and bolts job. And decide whether you want to use hydraulic or solid lifters too. I stuck with hydraulics for the power and revs I wanted and to fit within the er... budget.

Good luck and have fun. I certainly did, and still am. *smile*

Agree with the above, having learnt the hard way. Get head checked for hardness and porosity before starting and do all the interals properly; porting, skiming, springs, bearings, rods, liner protrusion etc.Then all is ready for the external goodies whenever money and time is available. My 1600 ended up this way and develops around 175+ with very good torque, so very drivable.