Click here if you are having website access problems ×

changing shockers

fordy

Am about to fit new freestyle springs dampers next week on my de dion car.

I noticed the top hex cap bolt on the front dampers requires a largish hex socket. I only had 8mm and 10mm available and it looked somewhere between the two, maybe 9mm. Am I correct or is it some imperial size?

If it is 9mm anyone suggest where I can get one as the local Halfrauds don't do 9mm. Any other funny size tools i'll need for this job?

This is one area where a Metrinch socket set comes in handy..such a confusing mix of metric and imperial fasteners all over the car put paid to any plans I had to replace fasteners with Allen head bolts and (where possible/safe to) stainless steel nuts.

Too much hassle trying to figure out what size/type/thread pitch each one was then ordering it only to find "they don't make them in that size/type/thread pitch in an allen head sir!".

Bah! ☹️

For the princely sum of £3.90 or so you can buy a roll of Draper Allen keys which have not only all the metrics from 2mm to 10mm in 0.5 increments to about 7mm or so but has also similar range of imperial sizes but also has believe it or not a 9mm key. Why 9mm allen keys are as rare as rocking horse poo I don't know but I scoured many a tool catalogue looking for such a thing only to find it at our local motor factors in the "cheap and nasty tools dept."

Fordy. Snap On make some. Either Allen Key with Hex/Ball at either end. Or, the preffered choice a 3/8 drive socket with 9mm Allen Key insert. Much quicker and stronger. Not that expensive.(Believe it or not when compared to other so called "Quality Tools") If you want I'll post price and part no?

Rob.

FRONT SUSPENSION

Application Bolt Size Torque Setting

Damper / upper wishbone mount 1/2" UNF x 3 1/2" 60 lb/ft

Upper wishbone Forward mount 3/8" UNF x 2" 20 - 25 lb/ft

Lower wishbone mounts 1/2" UNF x 4" 60 lb/ft

Lower wishbone to damper 5/16" UNF x 2 3/4" 12 - 15 lb/ft

upper ball joint M14 nyloc 30 - 35 lb/ft

Lower wishbone to upright 1/2" Nyloc 40 lb/ft

Anti-roll bar brackets 5/16" UNF x 1 1/2" 12 - 15 lb/ft

anti-roll bar to upper link 1/2" Nyloc 20 lb/ft

Hope this comes out in a spaced format. Not it doesn't B***** it! I does if you edit the post?!

For post 96 spec De dion front.

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 19 Dec 2002 14:53:33

• 3 weeks later...

since i used to live in texas if anyone ever gets in this bind, call or email me and i've got a full set of american tools here in ruislip, near uxbridge m40/m25 junction.

will save you buying them. they sit in my shed......safely in a toolbox.....almost never used now but couldn't bear to part with them. sockets, box-end, open, allen, hex you name it i've got em...

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea* click here to see our pictures....

Edited by - w1scb on 10 Jan 2003 18:28:13

Foxy is right. For £4 you can buy about 8 Metric Hex keys and for another £4 you can buy about 8 Imperial Hex keys.

The annoying thing is when one hex key in your set is missing and it's the one you need. *confused*

One car - 1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings. *smile*

The front bottom damper mount won't come out. Serious abuse and it won't budge. Looks like it wasn't assembled with a bit of copper grease. Fortunately I'm replacing the bottom wishbones so although damper is now off the car. It is still attached to the old wishbone !!!! Took me 3 hours to get that far. Looks like a long job then.....