Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help I think I've killed my battery

MBB

With the recent weather I haven't used the seven this year. The trouble is I forgot to plug in the optimate, so plugged it in this morning, but it won't charge *eek* ☹️ 🙆🏻

I've tried another charger, cheepo halfords job, no luck their either.

So have I killed the battery, presumably with the immobiliser, or am I just being a numpty with the chargers?

So have I killed the battery
Well, maybe. But there are some checks you can do first:

Is the electrolyte level OK in all cells?

What's the voltage across the battery (I'm assuming you have a meter)

Can you operate anything at all (eg sidelights or even a single 12v bulb)?

The Optimate will have its work cut out getting a charge into a totally flat battery.

JV

Most "intelligent" chargers need at least 3v to detect a battery is present.

You need an unintelligent charger which just applies 14v across the terminals. Your alternator will do that, hence classic1952's suggestion. Or an older/cheaper charger might do it, or even another battery.

But there's a pretty good chance it's beyond saving. You might want to try anti-suphate tablets - they really do work, and aren't a snake-oil con as you might think.

have you got another good battery, if so and you find the jump leads, wack it in parallel with flat battery and then put charger on as well, that also can kick a dead battery back to life ,

*redface* sorry Roger just noticed you suggested similar *redface*

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 22 Feb 2014 21:25:25

There may be hope yet - charging lights have now come on the Optimate.

If dry I may take it up to the solent sevens meet on Friday, wit jump leads just in case it dosent hold the charge *cool*

PS Jump leads have been found - in my parents garage *eek*

• 1 year later...

Resurecting my old thread - I might have actually killed it beyond hope this time *weeping*

A couple of weeks ago it failed to re-start after a journey, having started fine earlier in the day, managed to jump start it & went home.

Its been on the optimate since, of to solent sevens last night, would not start, minutes after disconnecting the optimate, so had to take the tin top.  12v showing on the multimeter this morning, would not start on battery alone, would start when optimate connected, so its definatly the battery not suppliying enough power.

Any recomendations for a replacement battery?

i can't believe having the Optimate connected would make the difference as it only delivers minimal charging current and nothing near enough to crank the engine.  How long did you have the Optimate connected before it started again, would it have been long enough to recharge the battery?  What's the voltage when cranking?  Have you checked for cracked or dodgy connections which cure themselves when you attach the charger?

Cheapo "golf cart" batteries similar size to PVR25 are fine and last several years.

BUT you need to stop whatever is causing the drain in the first place.

As I suggested above, fit a battery Isolator (a simple non-fia one will do, and will probably be more reliable, if you don't use it to kill the engine when running), and remember to use it every time (that's the hard part for me!) *rolleyes*  

I have a hard wired plug for the optimate, so not a dodgy connection.

The engine will turn with just the battery, but not fire.  Plugging in the optimate and it fired first time after about 15 mins of charging.

The drain is AFAIK the isolator - battery normally maintains enough charge to start the 7   for about 3 weeks.  The trouble with fitting a battery isolator is that I will just forget to remove it, much like plugging in the conditioner.

I'll need to enlist a helper for that, or a better multimeter *whistle*

Anyone on the solent area want to go for a blat this weekend so I can see if it will charge when running?- must have a set of jump leads *yes*