Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Avon ZZR compounds ? UPDATE

Supersprint1988

Comes in A60 and A24.

Quoting Avon:

A60 MEDIUM COMPOUND FOR SALOON CAR CIRCUIT SLICK APPLICATIONS.

A24 MEDIUM COMPOUND FOR SINGLE SEATER, SPORTSCAR AND SIDECAR CIRCUIT SLICK APPLICATIONS.

I believe the ones CC sell are A60 but I'm not sure.

What compound do the good people of BC recommend for track day use.

Cheers *wavey* *wavey*

Carsten

Edited by - Supersprint1988 on 21 Feb 2014 14:49:09

Edited by - Supersprint1988 on 24 Feb 2014 12:17:04

Just working on an assumption which is very dangerous A24 = sprint/hill climb A60 = road/race (outer edges dissapear even with loads of neg) so would assume A64 could be harder/change of carcass to reduce outer edge wear

These new batch are hoping to perform at 3.5 front and 2 rear, the previous apparently need as much as 5 on the front. But those are race settings which may not need to be so aggressive for general road and track use, your best experimenting yourself if that's the case.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

I have just fitted my ZZRs. Trying to check exactly what I have got. What are the correct codes on the tyres that reveal the compound?

Fronts are 185/55R13 83W, rears are 215/55R13 88W and have loads of numbers/codes on them but nothing remotely like 15156M and 15157M?

Thanks, Julian

Julian

Are you looking on the correct side wall ?

I have a new set to fit at the weekend and was looking at them last night , they definately have 15156M  and  15157M stamped on them , but only on one side of the tyre .

Hi Mark

Thanks, found it. Just didnt know what I was looking for *rolleyes* ... but neither of mine have M after the codes. Do you think that is significant? Do you think mine might not be medium compound?

BTW, these tyres are amazing compared to ZZS and even CR500's. Does anyone use these as their normal road tyre and just take it really easily if it rains? The payback in the dry is astonishing!

J

Hi

I have had ZZS for a couple of months and have now done around 750 miles on them. The ZZRs have done possibly 250miles. Over the last year I did around 6k on CR500. The ZZS seem to have similar grip levels to the CR500, but seem stiffer generally, on bends with uneven surfaces the back has become alarmingly unsettled at times, roads where the CR500 had no such problem. The ZZR has better overall grip at speed than both with much more pointed turn in. The compliance I missed on the ZZS compared to the CR500 also seems improved with ZZR.

Thats all three at 17/18psi cold, road use only.

Cheers

I've just sold off my recently purchased ZZR and gone back to CR500. Welcome back to ability to handle pattery broken surfaces, ride quality, turn-in and grip a plenty. Not having any empirical measurement of cornering power between the two, but the nose turns i to corners a lot more willingly on the CR500s. Steering lighter, more pricise and better mid-bend adjustability.... Yumm :)