Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Need a good mechanic to help do work before sprinting

Hello,

This is my first post on Blatchat.

I have a 94 Caterham 7 series 3 with de dion, Zetec 2.0 with 45 webers ported head from Raceline. I need to get the gearbox out for repair as it is noisy in neutral with my foot off the clutch and doubtless a few other jobs!

I live near Ross-on-Wye and want to find a mechanic who can get this job done and then help through the season. I'm a novice so I won't be pushing the limits of high tuning but do want someone who knows how to set the car up and make sure it is in good tune for the season.

Thanks

Guy

• Area Representative

Quoting Steve Newman: 
Welcome.

Noisy gearbox in neutral foot off clutch is quite normal for type 9 gearbox. Doesn't mean it needs overhauling.

Agreed. Especially noisy if you also have a lightweight flywheel.

*wavey*

If your unsure about the noise in your gearbox, bring it ( and the car) along to the South Wales club meet on March 6th and I would be happy to confirm its normality *thumbup*

A service and bolt check would be ideal before the season regardless of what you have planned. Sprinting doesn't add much more mechanical stress.

Dave

Thanks very much to everyone who has replied and so promptly.

I did drain the gearbox oil recently and it came out pretty grey so I think there is a problem to be sorted, the noise is not a rattly metallic (gear teeth) sort of noise more of a bearing (constant) noise.

Someone local wrote and said he has a similar noise so I'll meet up and compare with his before going further.

I would like to find someone who is reasonably local who can help me through the season though so if you have any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Best wishes, Guy

Once again thanks to everyone for your comments and advice. Fred thanks for the local contact, I did call Nigel and he does seem to know what he is doing and I may well use him as he's not too far away.

Thanks Guy

Guy

My type 9 on a 1700 XF makes a noise when idling. Try increasing the idle speed a little and see if it disappears or at least improves. I don't think it makes any difference mechanically, but it makes you feel more comfortable! For what it is worth, I have had this same issue (it that's what it is) for over 50,000 miles and still going strong. If it disappears when you increase the revs slightly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Terry

Thanks for your comments Terry.

The idle speed doesn't make any difference, to me it just sounds like a bearing gone and the oil was very grey when I replaced it a while back.

Best wishes Guy