Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

XFlow cooling

Rory

Hi,

I am also removing my heater and while doing it, install a header tank for the cooling system on my X-flow.

How is the header tank "wired" into the tubing?

Which header tank to use and where would you place it?

Thanks

Klaus

1700+ X-flow

Combustion is not a secret

You dont have a header tank already ?

I think that mine is connected from the neck of the filler cap / thermostat housing. a pipe then runs back to the end of the passenger footwell to a header tank. The pipe enters the bottom and there is an over flow pipe that comes out the top

This should mean that any excess air/water is fed into the header tank at the bottom (air bubbles away) and then when the system cools and contracts it sucks the water back into the system.

Nick

Gizmo,

When I bought my x-flow, there was a thread that went along the lines of:

If you block off the outlets at the pump and the cylinder head, it is possible to overheat part of the engine before the thermostat opens as there will be no flow of coolant at that time. Therefore, the better technical solution was to run a pipe between the two. I can see some logic to this idea, as there is very little flow of water through the closed thermostat and this could lead to a large temperature differential between the hottest part of the engine and the stationary water at the thermostat.

As ever, ymmv

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Thanks for the answers guys. I am currently running with the pipe connected directly. The reason I asked is when I was thinking about it, surely the pump is then drawing some 'hot' water straight from the head back into the block ?

---john---

Nick,

I think what you describe is not a header tank (closed system)... it is just the normal overflow system (open system) which is supposed to not really work.

What I heard is that water is pushed out but never really sucked back...

Some people have modified there x-flow system to include a real header tank, which is somehow connected to the plumbing to make a real closed system.

Klaus

1700+ X-flow

Combustion is not a secret

Header tanks.

As recommended by Roger King.

Apparently after a session on the track - or a hard blat, the engine will expel coolant into the bottle.

This is normal.

The problem is that the water is not always sucked back into the engine.

This can result in engine overheating and head gasket failures.

I recently changed to a sealed system and used a tank from a Rover 216.

This is plumbed into the old and now unused heater "circuit"

The thermostat cover had to be changed for an early Ford type that does not have a filler cap on it.

It does however have a second outlet that also runs to the expansion tank.

This setup has proved to be absolutely reliable.

Do a search for header tanks in tech talk as there were a few posts a while back.

As for running or not running a "heater bypass" hose, I can't see it would matter which way you choose.

In the summer when its hot you normaly turn off the heater by closing a valve.

This has the same effect as removing the heater and plugging up the heater outlets on the engine/waterpump.

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Less is more!