Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fuel tank level sender

My boot floor is sealed with pop rivets & mastic, I am thinking of cutting a hole in the centre of the boot floor about 150mm sq & making this a access panel anybody with a better idea it would be appreciated.

One tip - cut the mastic/remove the rivets. If it still won't come up (which it probably won't), use a long bar vertically underneath the car pressing on the boot floor - jack the car up and then lower it onto the bar - gently! This will provide upward pressure and allow you to cut away the remaining mastic.

I have cut a section in the boot floor just behind the fuel sender, to make removing the fuel sender easier, I took out the sender and checked all the wires & connectors its still rearing full tank I tried a multmetre across the fuel sender it reads 29V, I lost as to what to do, how do you check if a fuel sender is working the gage seems ok?. Thanks

The sender itself is a resistor - so you want to measure the resistance across it rather than voltage. When the gauge reads 'full' it implies that there is a short somewhere - what often happens is that the wires get cut by the boot floor and short against it. So you really need to lift the boot floor and see whether it still reads full; if not (and that would be my bet), the wire has shorted against the floor.