Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Aluminium Boot Skin

Dunno if I'm being dumb (again) *confused* but I can't seem to get the aluminium boot skin back in - the one that goes above the petrol tank.

It was a really tight fit to get it out, and whatever way I try, I cannot get it back in?!?

Any recommendations?

I presume you mean the honeycomb tank protection above the tank? It took me ages the first time, but now takes seconds. I afraid it is about angle and position! I know that is no help to you but keep trying and it will go in. Put some masking tape on any exposed paint and take care not to dent the car boot skin from the inside.

Really difficult to describe but here goes. Insert it from the offside, lengthwise in a near vertical position in between the main part of the roll bar and its rear angled supports. In plan view, it is diagonally across the boot space from behind the damper cover on the off side and the rear corner on the near side. There is just enough room for it to go.

If you still can't get it in I can post a video clip...

Quoting Roadracer1977: 

Any recommendations?

Give up, go and have a beer and try again tomorrow. I think we've all been there and once you've found the way you'll be amazed how easy it is, and yet you can never quite remember how you managed it once it's in 😬

• Leadership Team

Keep at it ... you'll find a way eventually!

If you do fail, do as I did - cut it in two! I fitted a smaller right hand "half" to include all the filler pipework, and if needed the larger left side can now be removed separately without disconnecting everything. I've also incorporated a small removable insert to enable access to the diff drain/fill from above *thumbup*

Stu.

Quoting Englishmaninwales: 
I presume you mean the honeycomb tank protection above the tank? It took me ages the first time, but now takes seconds. I afraid it is about angle and position! I know that is no help to you but keep trying and it will go in. Put some masking tape on any exposed paint and take care not to dent the car boot skin from the inside.

Really difficult to describe but here goes. Insert it from the offside, lengthwise in a near vertical position in between the main part of the roll bar and its rear angled supports. In plan view, it is diagonally across the boot space from behind the damper cover on the off side and the rear corner on the near side. There is just enough room for it to go.

If you still can't get it in I can post a video clip...

These instructions worked a treat - thank you.

It literally slid into place in about 10 seconds. *cool*