Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lowered headlamp brackets

Vinnie_Hki

I am planning to have a number of custom headlamp brackets made. These brackets will use the standard diameter tube powder coated black as usual, so will fit in the S3 pinch bolt mount. It will also have the standard boss on the end to accept the usual selection of headlamp and indicator pods etc. The prime difference is that this bracket will be extremely simple. 200mm long, straight tube including the boss on the end. This length will be sufficient for wide track cars running 7" headlamps. My own car in the pics has been running these brackets on wide track (both "wide track" and "aero" style wishbones) for several years so I do not think they will foul each other. I've even burst a Nitron on a pothole in Bulgaria 😔 - I think I had full deflection for that one, *tongue* and not seen bracket to wishbone contact.... *thumbup*

The pics show my car as it returned from a run down to Greece through the Alps and Transfargasan highway, it has 5 3/4 lamp units, wide track aero and a blister on the nose cone for the Reverie air intake. The car has been in this trim for five years now and we've not seen any issues. Note also that the cycle wing stays on this car have been chopped so the wings themselves are a little lower than standard (about 15mm I guess).

As you can see, with this bracket the headlamp is located much lower and further back than a standard unit. FWIW, there was plenty of night driving on the run down to Greece for example and the lamps were generally sufficient for some "quite quick" driving *smokin*

Pic 1

Pic 2

If anyone would like a pair I am offering these at 50 pounds per pair (Incl P&P) delivered to an EU address. Payment will be bank transfer to a UK bank account.

Register interest here please, I have two takers already, looking for another eight pairs to be sold to get this off the ground.

Vinnie

Edited by - Vinnie_HKI on 18 Feb 2014 14:48:15

Quoting mav: 
seriously tempted.

When I get in a car now with the big headlights and standard brackets I get quite frustrated with how much they obscure the view. It's like driving about with two big discs in front of you. On the lowered brackets they sink down out of the eyeline, and smaller shells just make them "disappear".

Quoting Martin B: 
Not having my car in the garage at the moment, would these fit a CSR too ?

Martin

Not having paid attention to the bracket on a CSR I cannot say for sure, but looking at a std bracket from Caterham parts for the CSR the diameter etc looks the same as an S3 - I guess it has the same pinch bolt clamp on top of the chassis rail. Best checked but it certainly looks like it.

Vinnie

Quoting David Brown: 
Jon mentions Anthony's car. Is that the guy from Zermatt that used to post details of trips all over Europe? Been missing his postings and wondered what had happened to him.

David

I think you are confusing Anthony Mellor with Anthony Burgess. By coincidence, Anthony Mellor has stayed here at my house near Helsinki on one of his trips, and of course Anthony Burgess' former car lives here permanently.

Vinnie

Apologies for the slow reply!! Saw it when posted and thought I had replied...ooops

Just waiting for numbers really, am only about halfway there right now. However I need to order some large items soon and so I may well just bite the bullet and take some stock, so I would guess I'll have the items in my hands within 14 days or so.

Any more for any more? 😬

Vinnie

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just going to resurrect this thread .. .. though I didn't know of its existence until about 2 minutes ago.

Hope that I'm not treading on Vinnie's toes here.

I have recently had 20 pairs of these brackets made, they are half way to being nylon coated as I type this.

FInal costs won't be known until bill comes back from coaters - but the plan is a to fix a price per pair and then any surplus goes to NtL.

Of the 20 pairs,  2 have already been sold (to me) so there will be 18 available. PLEASE don't post any interest on this thread. I will post something in "For Sale" and/or "Chit-Chat" when all details (including total production costs and shipping costs) are known.

Dave