Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series Aero Filler cap?

Stuart Faulds

Would like to get to the bottom of this one... When I ordered mine in late 1999, it wasn't yet an option (so I was told by the young salesman) available to us punters. They had one fitted to a car in the showroom though, which I liked so was told I could have one. It was delivered with the aero filler installed, as promised, and hasn't been a problem in 3 years and 16,000 miles.

Immediately after taking delivery of mine a couple of people have asked me about the filler cap complaining that they weren't allowed to order their car with one. A local chap recently ordered an R400 and wasn't allowed one.

Why?

Mine's fine.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

From a chat I had with caterham a while back (I was considering it as my rear end needed looking at 🙆🏻 *eek*) about this and the upshot of it as far as I can remember that the original one (assuming this is yours V7) had some problems, they where no specific but something to do with breathers... they said they where working on a replacement but had nothing at that time.

not sure what the differences between k and others around the breather issue

Rob

I assume the reason the breather is a problem in the fuel cap is because now its against the rules to breath the tank to air. Instead you must vent the tank via a charcoal canister. The charcoal canister vents only when the engine is hot, and the tank is always under a little negative pressure. Thats why modern cars suck air in when you open the fuel cap. You will have no problem fitting a vented fuel cap on a newer car, but not the other way round. I suspect Caterham are just playing by the rules, so no vented fuel caps for you cat car boys

I would suspect that the charcoal canister and the tank venting is not checked at MOT time, so might be a good place for a bit of weight saving. Now that must be a good reason to get a nice shiny Areo vented Fuel Cap.

Chris.

H15 SVN Get It!