Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Propshaft Guard

Daniel

I haven't got one of these on mine but would suggest that you don't want to actually fix this to the chassis permanently until you have all the drive train ( gearbox diff and engine ) fitted , centralised in the chassis and set at the correct height .

I would slide it on the prop shaft ( the way round that you can access the holes to rivet ) and leave the fixing until later .

Edited by - Mark W on 11 Feb 2014 20:09:01

Quoting Mark W: 
Daniel

I haven't got one of these on mine but would suggest that you don't want to actually fix this to the chassis permanently until you have all the drive train ( gearbox diff and engine ) fitted , centralised in the chassis and set at the correct height .

I would slide it on the prop shaft ( the way round that you can access the holes to rivet ) and leave the fixing until later .

Not sure if I'm trying to fit it properly, but it just will not go in whatever way I try... It'd be great to see an 'installed' picture if anyone would be so good?

I have fitted this now.

Used a Dremel 575 to get into the tunnel with the Dremel chuck attachment. Then drilled from the tunnel through to the passenger and driver compartments using a 4mm metal drill bit and riveted into the tunnel.

Quite fiddly and very time consuming to fit.

I cannot think why this wouldn't be fitted as part of the chassis build by Caterham unless the clearance needs to be adjusted when the drivetrain is fully installed .

I hope I am wrong for Daniels sake .

How much larger is the hole than the O/D of the props shaft ?

Quoting Mark W: 
I cannot think why this wouldn't be fitted as part of the chassis build by Caterham unless the clearance needs to be adjusted when the drivetrain is fully installed .

I hope I am wrong for Daniels sake .

How much larger is the hole than the O/D of the props shaft ?

I wonder if he should have left attaching it until after the prop shaft was attached to the gearbox for perfect alignment? Hope it works out OK. Difficult with minimal instructions.

Guys...

All checked in with Derek at CC...

I'm doing everything as per his instructions. Riveted to top and bottom chassis rails and tunnel skin. There's decent clearance for the guard and is ok to install at this stage...

Check out my blog for pics etc.

Cheers

I would suggest everyone fits one having seen what happens when a U/J fails at speed and the prop shaft lets go.

Saw a Caterham last year where this happened which destroyed the passenger side transmission tunnel and much of the passenger seat.

If there had been a passenger in the car at the time the injuries would have been horrendous !

Has anyone adapted and fitted one of these to a Series 3 Arch chassis?

Also, as an after-assembly item, is there any reason why it could not be divided vertically down the middle, placed in two pieces into the tunnel, riveted in place around the propshaft, and joined top and bottom with pre-made join pieces with bolts and lock-nuts?

Slightly heavier, perhaps, but it would obviate the need to disconnect the drivetrain to install.

My new Sadev seq. Gearbox should be delivered next week and I will fit it the week after.

As a result I will replace my standard propshaft with the R500 with seq. propshaft type.

FYI, although it does not appear on their website yet, Caterham does sell another type of proshaft that was deisgned for the R600/R620.

My car is an S3 with Arch chassis.

I ordered the prop guard as well.

I will let you know how it goes.

Edited by - Catastrada on 20 Feb 2014 07:39:17

This is what happens to a Lotus series 4 7 when the front UJ lets go S4 7 UJ Failure

Luckily happened at around 90mph so the propshaft shattered rather than pole vaulting the car. The fire was caused by the flailing prop severing the main fuel line.

Driver and passenger OK.

All Caterham's should be fitted at birth with protection in the front UJ area!! *eek*

• 2 weeks later...

As planed I'm in the process of fitting my Sadev seq. Gearbox.

Currently we are stuck as yesterday evening we discovered that the new uprated proshaft sent by Caterham has 2 impacts on the side that goes into the gearbox, exactly where the gearbox seal sits.

It means that the seal will be damaged pretty soon if we fit it. We need to wait for a replacement...

Picture of 1 impact

The second impact is 180°opposite...

But we fitted the propshaft guard in my tunnel (S3 imperial) : picture

As we have a R500D in the garage, we were able to take measurements.

The fitting is not plug and play. But when we look how CC fitted it to the R500D, it seems that it wasn't either.

All Caterham's should be fitted at birth with protection in the front UJ area!! eek smiley

but why do the UJ's fail?

Is it because a standard joint has been used & it's being pushed beyond it's design limits?

If so caterham should specify a stronger joint.