Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust System Advice

Colin Grundy

I would like to fit a 4-2-1 system to my 1.8K.

I know that Caterham do a competition system, but the problem I have is that the car will need a Cat. to pass the SVA.

What I'm looking for is the dogs b####ks of a system that I can attach the cat to for SVA, and then remove it. There are so many systems available that I get confused as to which one I need. Can you advise please.

If any of you went to the Motor Show the SV that was on the stand had a great system attached that didn't look standard, can anyone enlighten me.

*eek*

Go to powerspeed 01233 662255 they were/maybe still doing a bulk deal with us caterham owners,

£450 inc. VAT fitted or delivered 4-2-1 dog's bollocks system!

Which compared to i think about £850 elsewhere seems fantastic value! 😬

ps. ask for Dave, and say i sent you! 😬

Martin

MW 51 CAT

Edited by - martin whitcher on 17 Dec 2002 11:14:30

That had a 4-2-1 system which is apparently standard on 160 X-power cars (so the stand guy said). This surprised me somewhat as I think it used to be quite an expensive option!

This is the original SLR exhaust system which has a section that can be removed and replaced with a Cat or a bypass pipe depending on what you need.

I'm getting one of the Powerspeed exhausts Martin mentioned. I'm also speaking to the guys at Millwood Motors tomorrow about my options for getting the car through it's MOT (substituting a CAT in, etc).

I'll post again when I have an idea of what I'm going to do.

Ewen Malloch

P979TMV - Yellow 1.6 K Series

I know of someone who recently bought a 4:2:1 exhaust from an unnamed exhaust company in Ashford, Kent, for their Caterham K Series.

To describe it as a dogs breakfast would be too kind. I have seen it, it is an appalling mess, and he is in the process of throwing it away and going to Hayward and Scott.

Same examples of the workmanship are:

Incomplete welds on exhaust joins allowing the manifold to blow.

Weld quality which looks like a schoolboy did it (splattery)

Angular joins between tube sections to make up the curves

To top that, they removed the water rail to fit it and refilled the nengine with straight water - no antifreeze at all, let alone Coldstream which I understand is a must for the K Series.

This person was not informed that his cooling system had been drained and refilled, let alone with water. Considering the job was done in October, I think this is outrageous.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Colin,

Go to http://www.haywardandscott.co.uk

This is a company which pulls stunning systems off Ferrari 250 restorations because "they are not quite accurate...."

Needless to say thier quality is second to none.

Ask to speak to Ian when you call and tell him Arnie sent you!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Edited by - fat arnie on 17 Dec 2002 19:09:54

I fitted a Powerspeed stainless system 4.2.1 a few months back and am well pleased. The increase in mid range pickup is quite noticeable and the sound is superb although I appreciate that means nothing with regard to performance but hey drop it a gear and well 😬.

Fitting the system took a while though especially cutting the hole, about 3hrs spent on that. I also polished the system to a mirror finish prior to fitting, don't ask how long that took....... Would therefore recommend a powerspeed

Due to the changes with MOT emissions etc I have kept the original cat system and will pop that back on when a test is required

Phil

1.6SS6speedLSD and smiling 😬 😬 😬

Edited by - prs on 18 Dec 2002 10:48:12

I e-mailed Hayward & Scott this morning and this is there reply (very prompt too which is a good thing!)

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry. Unfortunately we do not have a pattern for this car so we would need the car for 3 days to be able to make one for you. You would be looking at about £450 - £500 + VAT fully polished for the manifold & £75 + VAT to remove the cat. with a cat. replacement pipe.

If you need any more information please do not hesitate to contact us.

So there you go .... someone needs to get their car down there so a patttern can be made!!

Cheers

Alex

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue

"By the way H&S costs for bespoke system are not as expensive as you might think"

Particularly when FA paid for them to make the jig a few years ago!!

I went to H&S on FA's advice. Very pleased with the result although the customer care level is a little short of USA Mcdonalds levels. But they did it when they said they would & at the price estimated. Frankly I don't care if they're a bit terse if they do a good job.

I had a powerspeed exhaust when I had my car from the other side. It was cheap & cheerful & did the job functionally..........................but I wouldn't have said the quality suited a Caterham.

That said some people seem quite happy with something that looks like an elongated milk-churn bolted to the side of their car (No supplier names mentioned)

Sorry to put more of a downer on this guys but having read the earlier posts I mentioned it to a mate of mine who had that same Ashford company do him a system & exhaust:

"Re **********, they have done a manifold for me, but to be honest, although

it seems good, the workmanship is minimalistic, if you know what I mean. It

was sprayed silver, IN the engine bay, which is a little frustrating, and

two nuts/bolts were missing from the bonnet bracket! I would possibly use

them again for a manifold, but not for an exhaust. I am really unhappy with

the exhaust they did, when I asked him to look at it, he didn't....... so the total

feeling towards them comes under the banner of 'lack of effort'!"

Check what you're getting boys

Is Powerspeed in Ashford? Last time I used them they were at Allington near the prison but I had heard that they were moving from his bungalow. They make good race exhausts but the quality on my last 3 sets of primaries have been more suited to a circuit car than a road car. Not the sort I would want to get chromed or camcoated.

Had all sorts of problems with their aluminium silencer melting from exhaust gas heat 3 seasons back.

Racing pics and items for sale here

Trevor, am interested in your experiences with the aluminium exhaust can. I have been testing such made by a Midlands company recently. I have no affiliation with them other than they'll give me a freebie at the end of it all. So far my experiences with their product are quite pleasing. It's very light and hasn't failed to date. I've not done a huge number of miles although I have done a sustained blast through Wales on one occasion.

One of our concerns was whether it would melt. I've got a 200+bhp SLR so it gets a pounding although not as much of a pounding as a racecar would give it I guess.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

That's bl***y crap, and top dollar as well no doubt, it's a pity that Chuchills? or is it Churchs', near Guildford no longer make bespoke systems, mine came from there and is an identical finish in workmanship and fit to the original Caterham supplied item, that picture is not a good advertisement for their products. Nigel.

Oh dear! What have I started?! Apologies to all those eagerly awaiting their bulk-buy exhausts!!! I was pissed off at the state of the hole and when I complained I was told that (although the price included fitting) they didn't charge for cutting the hole!!! *confused* Anyway performance is improved so I can live with it. I'm pleased I didn't go for a full system at the time - this manifold links to my old cat'd silencer - useful given the recent thread about emissions. If I do get the 4-2-1 collector and silencer I think I'll be sourcing them elsewhere.