Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hole in Chassis..?

New build...

Having a lot of problems, and I'm really re-thinking the integrity of everything at the moment.

Is this hole in the chassis normal?

Passenger footwell area...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Z_87dNqEfDA/UvlOkYp0iFI/AAAAAAAAAYw/1Uwv1HxfyF4/s1600/_DSC0362.jpg

Quoting CharlesElliott: 
I assume this is where the lowered floor meets the chassis? If so, I would say that it is not normal.

Yes it is.

Can anyone supply any pictures please - I'm getting really cheesed off with this.

That looks the same as mine: I fitted the lowered floor myself and was able to afford much more time to it than I suggest Caterham/Arch could. The floor must clear that lateral support and as the outboard side is located vetically between the inner skin and chassis tube, then it must therefore clear the tube. (Better than having contact with it and causing chafe/ wear, I think.) The std floor passes below that box section and slides horizontally between the outer skin and longitudinal chassis tube.

Quoting susser: 
That looks the same as mine: I fitted the lowered floor myself and was able to afford much more time to it than I suggest Caterham/Arch could. The floor must clear that lateral support and as the outboard side is located vetically between the inner skin and chassis tube, then it must therefore clear the tube. (Better than having contact with it and causing chafe/ wear, I think.) The std floor passes below that box section and slides horizontally between the outer skin and longitudinal chassis tube.

OK thanks - I appreciate the informative response.

Just been reading your blog Daniel, I to would be angry *mad* if I had received a damaged roll bar rejected by another customer & then sent to me as new.

It's just simple housekeeping, check & re-check everything before dispatching to a customer.

At least you have a good contact at CC in Derek.

And looking at your handbrake cable photo - the non-adjusting side needs to be the other side of the flange it passes through otherwise it will have nothing to pull against (if I'm reading the photo correctly).

A right PITA regarding the wrong/damaged/missing bits *mad*

You got a build manual too! I never got one and wasn't initially told that I had to download and print it myself - so spent a lot of time looking for it in the boxes. Then when I asked for it they wouldn't send one

Edited by - Grubbster on 11 Feb 2014 21:43:30

Daniel,

I am enjoying following your build blog and especially looking forward to the engine parts.Sorry about all the issues. I can confirm Charles' photo and assertion that your hole is not 'normal' with a couple of photos of my own: http://csr175.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/img_0908.jpg and http://csr175.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/img_0909.jpg under sill sides of my car. It was delivered in raw aluminium and was later painted, but you can see the close fit of the lowered floors and the clear silicon sealant that was liberally used all around the floor. However, this was used to prevent any water leaking in rather than blocking up a fairly large hole.

The floor does have to fit under the square section cross member just in front of the seats, but this is placed up a little and on my CSR chassis does not impede the floor fit. Being a CSR it is also likely an Arch built chassis, but I am not sure that this means the floor was also fitted there.

There is no doubt that it can be fixed at the post build check by drilling out all the rivets and refitting, since lowered floors are sometimes added later. But, the question is whether there is something causing this gap? It should be possible to check this out by looking from the inside of the car. Should you decide that the floor is in the correct place and the hole can simply be filled, then a small strip of aluminium and some epoxy to provide a backing for the silicon sealer might be a reasonable approach.

Good luck,

Mark

Edited by - CA Sevener on 12 Feb 2014 03:55:45

Quoting Grubbster: 
And looking at your handbrake cable photo - the non-adjusting side needs to be the other side of the flange it passes through otherwise it will have nothing to pull against (if I'm reading the photo correctly).

A right PITA regarding the wrong/damaged/missing bits *mad*

You got a build manual too! I never got one and wasn't initially told that I had to download and print it myself - so spent a lot of time looking for it in the boxes. Then when I asked for it they wouldn't send one

Edited by - Grubbster on 11 Feb 2014 21:43:30

You may be reading the picture wrong, as I've checked with Derek and all the handbrake bits are in the right place. However, I'm now stuck trying to fit (the almost impossible to fit) prop shaft guard.