Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Re-Packing a Sigma Exhaust Silencer

RedCat7

Thanks SM25T. Do you have any persuading tips?

It isn't easy to get any purchase on the end cap to do the persuading.

I'm also not sure if the perforated tube comes out with the removable end cap or not. I know on powerspeed silencers it doesn't but I am sure I have read about silencers where the tube comes out with the removable cap.

Sorry can't help, but are you sure the Sigma silencer is repackable?

i.e. This silencer is described as Re Packable and has rivets and bolts holding the front on the can on

here

My Sigma silencer looks like this here which has rivets but no bolts, so is it repackable?

Edited by - ChrisC on 10 Feb 2014 13:10:52

Edited by - ChrisC on 10 Feb 2014 13:11:27

It's the same silencer as ChrisC's. I do not know for sure if it is re-packable. I did trawl the archives but didn't find an answer. The exhaust had got too noisy so I have nothing to loose in having a go. Now that the rivets are out I can shin a torch in and see that at least the first 6 inches of the silencer has no packing left in it at all.

I think I'll give CC a call.

Who makes Caterham's silencers nowadays? Is it still Cheesman? I converted my non-repackable silencer into a repackable one by getting a new ally sleeve made up to slide over the ends.

The standard stainless wire wool type stuff doesn't burn away, but it's not that great for sound deadening either. My 6" VHPD silencer was full when I sliced it open, but I repacked it with Acousta-Fil and it dropped the static noise at 5000rpm down by about 5dB, to 93-94dB, depending the tester. Great for noise-sensitive venues like Bedford.

Redcat

I can't tell you if the silencer can be separated, but if one of the end caps is riveted it would suggest it can be separated.

Why go to the trouble of riveting a silencer which can't be separated. Doh!

May be call caterham cars servicing and ask them if your silencer part no. can be re-packed.

Chris P

Edited by - chris perry on 11 Feb 2014 18:42:57

Spoke to CC today who reckoned it's not designed to be re-packable but noted that the end cap is riveted so it might be possible. So not exactly crystal clear.

Time to get more persuasive with the persuaders since I don't have much to loose if I screw it up!

Steve M, the car has done 6K since 2011 on this, it's first silencer.

As an aside, I can't understand how you've burnt through the packing in 6,000 miles. I've had more than that on a race engine, so constantly run hard, with no real deterioration.

There were some map issues on 2008/09 Sigmas that led to premature deterioration of the cats (they burnt themselves up) - have you checked your cat? I wonder if you need a newer map - Caterham did this all for free on the race cars.

Jez

I tried a lot more persuasion and all it got me was an ugly/leaky silencer. With the end cap loose in a now baggy case it still won't come off. I guess the tubes must all be welded up inside. I reckon I can rivet it back together but it will still be noisy and leaky now, so I think I need a new silencer ASAP. CC don't do a repackable for Sigma. I know about Powerspeed and Meteor but they seem quite expensive and I want to keep the cost low if I can so there is more money left to spend on track days.

Can anyone please recommend any companies closer to Chester who could make me a repackable silencer?

If you can pick up a good second hand repackable duratec silencer it fits in the same physical space as the sigma one. The pipe is a larger diameter that the sigma one so you do need to cut and sleeve down to fit the sigma cat pipe or bipass depending on what you have. That's what I did. Might be cheaper than buying a new repackable sigma one.

• 3 months later...

Another update from me.

After no local recommendations, I sent the silencer off to Powerspeed. They said the reason I couldn't get it apart was some excess weld had meant the riveted end cap wasn't removable. Anyway they did a nice job of repairing, repacking it and making it easy to repack in future with button head bolts. Cost was about £250 including postage both ways.

Unfortunately I have 2 problems with the repaired silencer.

The first being that the used slightly to small a diameter tube so it didn't fit on the CAT. It was also pretty thick walled so a bast$%d to expand to fit and and then clamp back up again. In hindsight, I should have sent my CAT bypass pipe down with the silencer.

The second problem is that it is not any quieter than it was before when it was half empty. 100 dB according to my cheapo gauge and also the Cadwell tester. I'm sick of faffing with the exhaust for this year but maybe I'll give accoustafil a try over the winter.