Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Handbrake switch and Top or Bottom Front Hole

I've just installed the handbrake, and I'm not too sure wether or not to put the bolts through the top or bottom front holes, I've done it through the bottom holes for now?

Also the switch.. Does the supplied connector in the tunnel plug into one of the switch terminals? And if so, which one *confused*

Quoting Roadracer1977: 
I've just installed the handbrake, and I'm not too sure wether or not to put the bolts through the top or bottom front holes, I've done it through the bottom holes for now?

Also the switch.. Does the supplied connector in the tunnel plug into one of the switch terminals? And if so, which one *confused*

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DWXut-UKzkE/UvfpbQl0ELI/AAAAAAAAAWY/poD2V_6aU6A/s1600/_DSC0351.jpg

The bolt goes in the top hole so that the lever sits in its lowest position. The single black wire does go on the switch, off hand I can't remember which one. Use a meter to check, it needs to be closed when the lever is up.

Quoting mic: 
The bolt goes in the top hole so that the lever sits in its lowest position. The single black wire does go on the switch, off hand I can't remember which one. Use a meter to check, it needs to be closed when the lever is up.

Ok brill cheers - would be good to know which terminal it is supposed to be..?

Thanks.

I took a guess and it was wrong as the light on the dash came on when I let the handbrake off. It is easy enough to reach in and swap so long as you do it before the tunnel cover goes on. I not have the wire in the top spade.

I put the bolt through the lower hole and when the handbrake was off I could easily get my fingers underneath, but I know of others who mounted it lower down so I guess its a choice thing. As for which terminal I can't remember - all I do know is that it was wrong first time and I had to change it!

The handbrake cables should cross behind the pulley so they come out on opposite sides IYSWIM (but you also must make sure the adjuster exits on the correct side). Not mentioned in the assembly guide though, I never crossed mine over though and it never got picked up in PBC or IVA - but CC Dartford insist that it must be crossed.

I'm going to ask a dim question - and before anyone from North Kent, East Sussex or Kentish Weald says it: Whats new there then 😳

I'm aware that my (Factory Built) 2007 SV has said switch and I'm aware that there is cabling that is in the same position as in Roadracer1977's photo but not connected to anything.

Question is when did CC start actually connecting it all up, I've only seen one other 7 with the warning light on when the hand brake is on.

Mike

Quoting Grubbster: 
The handbrake cables should cross behind the pulley so they come out on opposite sides IYSWIM (but you also must make sure the adjuster exits on the correct side). Not mentioned in the assembly guide though, I never crossed mine over though and it never got picked up in PBC or IVA - but CC Dartford insist that it must be crossed.

Thanks Derek confirmed this (even though it's not in the manual), that terminal is the top one and to use to top hole of two on the handbrake.

• Area Representative

Built mine last year and like Grubbster didn't cross the cables behind pulley. So far it's passed PBC, IVA and Service no one has mentioned it so far. Handbrake works fine so am now curious as to why the cables should cross and what is the benefit?

Quoting nickhi: 
Built mine last year and like Grubbster didn't cross the cables behind pulley. So far it's passed PBC, IVA and Service no one has mentioned it so far. Handbrake works fine so am now curious as to why the cables should cross and what is the benefit?

Derek at CC suggested it stopped the rubbing of the cables on the tunnel.