Click here if you are having website access problems ×

155bhp X-flow spec sheet required

Big Brother

I currently have a spare 1600cc engine on the floor of my garage crying out for some attention (and shiny bits *wink*)

I've heard quite a few people mention 155bhp spec X-flows recently.

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to the standard spec engine to get to this power output. (cam, bore, head, valves, pistons, CR etc)

Also if anyone has had a 155bhp conversion and has a spec sheet, could they please post it or mail me a copy at: steve@gu46.co.uk

advTHANKSance

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Less is more!

Hi Steve,

This spec sounds like Roger Kings "155Bhp" spec - often called an RK 155 or similar shorthand.

From what I know it is based arround a Kent 244 Cam, Forged pistons, ballanced bottom end and tweaked head.

What you really want is a 254, throughly tweaked head, tweaked bottom end and 3D ignition.....

Best to ask Roger King, alhough he may not give away all his secrets *eek*, he is very helpfull!

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)

Guys, have a chat with Rob Grigsby, he has a 155 RK engine with 3D etc which might be available as he has just brought by 185 RK engine...

If not suggest you follow Greg's advice as I found 244 a bit flat and did not give the delivery in 1800 big valve head etc that I was expecting ( albeit this was with std rods/crank )

Best regards

Anthony

X-Flow-power; the real way forward

I had this conversion done by Roger King. The engine started of as a 1600cc X/F unit and finished as an 1800cc 155bhp unit. Bags more torque, 0-60 times that surprised a few "expensive" Se7ens, easier to drive and better fuel consumption (except when thrashing it!). I've now building an R300 and of course have thrown all the old X/F paper work away....

Roger is extremely helpful and does an excellent job. It cost me 2.5k + VAT 3 years ago. The first question he will ask is what type of block is it? If it's an AX block you're in luck, this has the most potential.

From what I remember: tuftridden crank, Cosworth big ends, balanced +dowelled flywheel (lightened if you want), forged pistons, big valves and gas flowed head, duplex timing chain, double valve springs, titanium collets, steel rocker posts, opened up and rejetted carbs, 244 cam, other steel bits between valve and cam and a lot more. Gave me a lot of fun and was very reliable over the 10,000 miles I drove it, including around the Pyrenees twice. You'll need the 4:1 exhaust to fully realise the potential - great noise!

Go for it !

Steve YHM also

I dont think that the lack of a dry sump will make any difference. All the bits at the bottom are pretty standard other than the tuffrided crank. I can only assume (but I dont know everything) that you will not achieve quite as much on the power output due to the larger quantity of oil in the sump.

Ade

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent

Hi Steve

I shall be sending you the paperwork I have shortly. On inspection, what I seem to have is a detailed list of parts incorporated into the rebuild of Simons engine although the spec of certain items are not listed.I hope it is still of some use to you. I also have some installation and service notes that were provided by RK. Do you want those aswell.

Ade

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent

Try This

Ford Crossflow Engine Rebuild

Specification Sheet for 160bhp (Non Steel)

Head modification

Gas flow head, port & polish

Set of big 214N stainless steel TC valves. 1.625"/41.3.mm IV, 1.380"/35mm EV

Re-seat valve seats for unleaded conversion

Heavy duty duplex valve springs and valve caps, VS7

Set of titanium valve guides, FP350

Steel rocker assembly, posts, HD shaft & spacer tubes

Stiffer tubular push rods

Match inlet manifold and head ports

Reface head

Block & Crankcase

Rebore block to 1699cc

Reface block

Regrind crank

Tuftride crank and polish

Competition lead indium main bearings shells

Competition lead indium big/small end bearings shells

Thrust bearings

Cosworth high tensile competition bolts kits. Head, conrods, main caps & flywheel

KC 244 cam shaft

Set of cam followers

Steel duplex vernier timing gear, dowel & double width tensioner

Fuel pump blank

Steel front main pulley

Flywheel double doweled to crankshaft end

Competition head gasket

High pressure/High capacity oil pump, FP220A

Block breather adapter 23.5mm dia

New Caterham sump

Balance crank and flywheel

Pistons & Connecting Rods

Set of forged Accrolite pistons

Machine pistons for valve pockets

Balance connecting rods and pistons

Ancillaries

Facet electric fuel pump

Fuel pump pressure regulator

Set high performance 8.5mm silicon plug leads (ferromagnetic glass fibre core)

New Webber 34mm chokes

Oversized inlet/exhaust manifold gaskets

Oversized laminated copper exhaust manifold gaskets

Alfa Wedcon 3-D ignition management WEBK97016 (static/wasted spark)

R300 NUT