Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New build (diff alignment)

PhilD

Hi,

Having problems fitting the diff in my new car (1800 roadsport) We have the upper mounting bolt in place and located the diff centrally. One lower mounting bolt is in place but the other appears to be 2 or 3 mls out of line and so will not locate in the diff thread, any ideas are most welcome.

Many thanks

Phil

Ah, the old diff installation problem...... I think several of us have been there ☹️

The best technique I found was (similar to Peter's): top bolt in loose (make sure it has some play, my first bolt was impossibly tight), use the movement to wiggle in the bottom bolts, then you can then play around with it to get it centralised and 'washered' up. The best tip was given to me by the factory- put a good sized chamfer on hte leading edge of the top bolt (my second bolt came from Caterham with the chamfer machined out). I also hand filed a small lead-in chamfer on both bottom bolts which seemed to help.

Good luck

Might be a bit late for this but ensure the chassis threads are clean before offering up the diff by running the bolts in and out a few times with some copper slip too.

I would not get the centre line adjustment sorted until you've located the lower bolts. A bit of free play around the top mountings allows you to get the lower bolts in place, this is lost if you've already got the spacers in. Once the lower bolts are in then I took out the top bolt and stuck in the washers etc.

Bruce

Phil

You have my sympathies. Can be a bit frustrating, but FWIW I found that putting a thinner bolt or screwdrivers through the top bolt mountings while the bottom ones are in helped a great deal.

Also I found that gently filing the holes with a round file cleaned and copperslipping the bolt also helped. When everything is in place though make sure that everything is shimmed and lined up correctly.

Good luck

*thumbup*

Phil,

Agree with Colin above, use a couple of screwdrivers on the top mountings as this gives enough play to be able to wiggle things around. Get the lower bolts sorted, then the top.

Reading this I realise how lucky I was....no real dramas; sorry - that doesn't help you much. Good luck.