Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rear exit exhaust for R500

Andrew_Bailey

Have a word with BTB. They do a different sort of side exit can that quietens things down. Looks pretty good too, and can't believe the Caterham one will be any better at reducing noise.

I don't believe Caterham are doing the rear exit exhaust for the R500 any more as the engine isn't meant to like the restricted breathing. Could be rubbish info I have, of course, but have a word with Caterham or Minister.

You'll also need to do something with the induction. In fact if you haven't, you'll definitely need the airbox to stand a cat in hells chance of beating noise regs.

Other option is to impose a lower rev limit on yourself and appease the noise people that way. Defeats the object of having 8600 available, but if it gets you on track...

BTB might also be able to help with a rear exit solution if you really wanted to go that route as I believe they do custom jobs too.

Seem to recall their side exit can is 4-500 quid.

Andy, thanks for taking the time to reply. I had the CF Airbox fitted before I picked the car up, so induction noise is as low as it can be. The Caterham exhaust looks virtually identical to the BTB one. Caterham told me that it 'should' bring static noise down to 100db or below. I managed to get on at Combe not long after I had this can fitted but they tested at 4,500rpm (kind people!) and even then it was 99.8db on their meter. At 6,000rpm it seems to put out between 103db and 105db.

I did speak to Minister about the rear exit and back pressure etc. They were rather not-commital but the message was essentially that occasional use would probably do no real harm. You are right, Caterham do not supply the rear exit system any more. So, I was hoping that someone out there would have one sitting in their garage.

C7 OCU

I'm sure if you asked them nicely BTB or similar could make you a rear exit one. Only slightly different pipework etc and could probably be done so as not to do any harm if enough thought was put into it.

I think the Caterham rear exit one was the same as they'd been using for other models, but could be wrong.

I knew that someone would have one in their garage *smile* Andrew, could you confirm that this is one that will fit an R500? I have absolutely no idea what one of these would be worth. Do you know what price they were new from Caterham? What is the best way for me to contact you?

Have you noticed that this seems to be an Andrew only thread 😬

C7 OCU