Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What epoxy adhesive please?

Mavic82

I would like some guidance on a specific epoxy to structurally bond aluminium to carbon. All small parts and temps will be up to 100 degC.

Looking for a 'proper' adhesive rather than just alraldite. But with an ambient cure and reasonably quick grab.

Thanks

Watching this with interest as wondering if I can epoxy cable guides on an ally bike frame - ally to ally. These would be to secure a hydraulic cable not a cable stop for cable brakes.

Tried one of cable stop converters but not impressed! I'm not sure how they're attached as the one guide already on the frame has no visible weld. The cable stops are defo welded.

Ian

Hi, If you go on the Henkel site you can either leave an email or get the phone number and phone and I am sure they will help. I was amazed at the service from such a huge company. I emailed about ten at night and they phoned back 9am the next morning. They make a glue for almost anything. We were glueing instead of bolting front side wings, they ping off if you have a bump doing less damage. Fortunately we haven't had a prang and they are very firmly on there five years and no sign of leaving the car. Hope you find the right goo

Jason,

I really don't think a contact adhesive is going to cut it. This needs to be a structural joint and the surface areas are not significant. Unless you can explain differently as I may be missing something?

Epoxy or acrylic adhesive of the right type will certainly work, they bond carbon and alloy tubs with it so for my little project should be fine.

Also sent email to Henkel, thanks Simon.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by - Mavic82 on 1 Feb 2014 22:34:18

Guy

What is that shape and size of that parts you are gluing. i had it in my mind you were gluing sheet to sheet for reason.

Alternatively I have a Henkle product here called Hysol 9462 which we could glue a test piece if you are passing my way.

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 2 Feb 2014 08:43:31

At 10mm you have a big enough surface area DP490 would do the job fine, As long as keyed and cleaned with the correct product before hand. But if only a one off better to send it where the product is used daily as you need the two part mixing gun and a tube of DP, If in no hurry i could do it when i next have a tube open. Often a free sample is available to evaluate which could be the way forward.

I would suggest that the elements will need to be primed also- this is true when applying / bonding structural glazing and assuming I have interpreted correctly this bond will be loaded

So what effect will the primer have on the carbon elements ?

Quoting Wrightpayne: 
Watching this with interest as wondering if I can epoxy cable guides on an ally bike frame - ally to ally. These would be to secure a hydraulic cable not a cable stop for cable brakes.

Tried one of cable stop converters but not impressed! I'm not sure how they're attached as the one guide already on the frame has no visible weld. The cable stops are defo welded.

Ian

Ian, will send you an email.